94.5 PSD dead cylinder - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94.5 PSD dead cylinder

Hey guys, 1st post here, looks like a great site!! I have a 94.5 PSD with 220K miles that has no compression in one hole so Im thinking that it might either be a burnt valve or a hole in the piston. I have it at a shop now and they are gonna pull the glowplug out and stick their lil camera in there to see what it might be. Either way what am I looking at on cost for this? I have found a couple complete trucks with around 180K miles with good drive trains for around $1000. Would it be worth swapping the engine out for one that runs properly, or doing the work myself. This truck also needs a turbo as it is leaking oil out where the downpipe joins the turbo.

Im sure this has been beaten to death here, but I also considered doin an old 12 valve cummins swap. I found one with 140K miles for $1800. How hard would this be?

Thanks in advance for any informative advice!

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Emergency Services

The 12v swap is a good swap but you will be out a lot of money to go that route. I suggest stuffing a used take out in there or rebuilding your engine. I think the benefit to cost ratio is not high enough in my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I thought about doing a 12 valve swap in my 97 but factoring in the cost of rebuilding both engines because I wouldn't just put a used one in if I did and then all the other parts plus buying a 12 valve it was more cost effective to overhaul my stroke. I've owned dodge cummins pickups before the 24 valve I had pulled just as good at same mileage only thin is missing a little bottom end grunt with the powerstroke but stick engine for stock engine they run down the highway just as good in my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok...I did a lil research last night and I didnt realize it was gonna be as costly as it is. What would an approx cost be to replace a piston or burnt valve and is it something I could do myself being reasonable mechanically inclined and a normal set of tools? Or would it just be better to swap it out? I found a '95 7.3 w/ allison tranny out of a schoolbus. Full maintenance re ords and guy says it runs flawlessly but bus was rear ended and cant be fixed. $1500 n I pull em out. Is this a good price? 225k miles.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What, if anything yet, did the laproscopy reveal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.