Manual Swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual Swap

looking to do a manual swap on my 95 f350. Im very familiar with the manual transmission setup as i just did a solid mass flywheel swap on my 96. Never had an automatic before and wasn't sure if it would be the exact same length as the manual tranny or if id need different driveshafts?? Also will i need a different PCM?? im just buying all the parts piece by piece but want to make sure i have it all before i start tearing into it. thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You need the PCM and a longer driveshaft, and not sure bout the t case linkage tho, but if you have a chip that can also just be burned into it
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

good point. i didn't even think about the transfer case linkage but by the way its setup i would think it would work. i do not have a chip and would rather just get a new pcm if that's not too much of a pain to do.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Longer rear driveshaft, shorter front driveshaft, shorter t-case linkage (or make your own, as some have). Best thing to have is a scrapped donor truck with the same cab/bed combo, so you can pick everything you need off of it. But it can be done piecemeal.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well ill keep my out for a donor truck, but you never see any in the junkyards theyre full of rusted out gassers. but no hurry on the manual swap, theres nothing wrong with the auto, im just not an auto kinda guy. i always said id never buy one but couldn't pass this truck up and its the only thing i don't like about it
Old 06-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just finished this swap. Very straight forward but time consuming by yourself in your driveway on your back. You also need the 5 speed crossmember and to make things easier the trans tunnel cover out of the manual.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

never thought about the crossmember either. but by the trans cover I assume you mean the floor pan? I already have one I picked up at a junkyard, I also have a brand new pedal assembly, clutch master cylinder, the master cylinder line, slave cylinder, a new clutch fork, and a single mass flywheel clutch kit. all I need is a tranny, the right driveshafts, a pcm, and the manual crossmember. that's all I can think of. when you did the swap did you get a manual pcm or did u get a chip programmed for it?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did neither, I left my auto pcm in. Runs fine throttle is a little touchy but you get used to it. Some guys have complained of a surging idle at start up but mine started perfect the first time and has never surged.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

wow ive never heard of anyone leaving their auto pcm in. I would think it wouldn't run right like that but maybe im wrong
Old 06-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

there's a lot of people who have done it. It runs and runs fine. I have no intention of swapping it out unless someone gives me one for free.

Before I took on the swap I read as much info as i possibly could. There is information everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.