No fuel from the rear - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No fuel from the rear

My front tank runs fine, but I have run out of fuel twice while trying to use my rear fuel tank. When I hit the switch to the rear tank it runs fine for a bit but eventually I use up the left over fuel in the lines and I'm stuck on the side of the road until I swap back to the front and bleed the air out of the line. My fuel gauge reads both tank levels properly. Possibly related, when I switch to the rear tank, my fuel pressure gauge drops to about 28psi. Any ideas guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, truck is a 1995 F-350 CCLB
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How much fuel is in the rear tank?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

little over 3/4 tank
Old 06-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Drop the tank and clean out the screen. It's probably clogged up causing you to loose flow.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is there an easy way to drain the fuel before dropping the tank? I don't have a floor jack to drop it with, got nothing but knees and elbows... My neighbor suggested that I use a Windex bottle top with a hose attached and put it down the filler neck but that sounds like it would take forever.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Unpremium Member

Half a dozen feet of 3/8" vinyl hose and siphon into fuel cans?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After a few mouthfuls of diesel and some new fuel fitting removal tools I got the tank dropped. Turns out the screen was perfectly clean, although it was floating around in the bottom of the tank... The screen housing was shattered and had hundreds of little pieces floating around the bottom of the tank. It's all cleaned out now, but the big question of my day is do I really need that screen housing? I understand it's purpose, but the tank is clean now and I'm not worried about my kids dropping toys or anything into it... Will the metal tube reach far enough down into the tank to achieve suction or will it start sucking air around 1/4 tank? 1/2 tank?

Bigger question, since my pickup tube wasn't clogged why wasn't I getting any fuel from the rear tank?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^^^ That's why I asked about the tank level. That "showerhead" commonly falls off, but typically it only means that you "run out" of fuel in that tank at about 1/4 tank. Lot of fellas just run an extension all the way down to the bottom of the tank. But you've still got something else going on, if it's not drawing at 3/4. Maybe one of the broken-off bits somehow got sucked up. I'd start by removing the quick-disconnects (if you haven't already), and seeing if you can at least blow air through the pickup line from the outside. I'd "back blow" it, just in case it's something that got stuck right in that section before the quick-disconnect.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Gotcha, I blew through the pickup tube and ran a pipe cleaner through it confirming that it wasn't blocked. I also ran an old speedometer cable piece (3') as far through the fuel line as I could confirming that it wasn't blocked forward of the tank as well. After I refilled the tank however, I encountered a new problem - no start. If I turn the key to the rear I've got full accessory power and all is well. If I turn the key forward I can hear the 'open door jingle' very weakly like the battery is dead, my dash gauges flicker at extremely low brightness and my aftermarket gauges don't even turn on. If I turn the key all the way, there is nothing. Starter doesn't even think about engaging. Disconnected and cleaned the battery terminals, tried to disconnect the GPR to isolate the problem and checked all the fuses. The only thing that is out of the ordinary is that I have a fast clicking noise that sounds like it is coming from the fuse box under the hood. Anyone got a clue what is happening? I really need to get this running to tow something tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.