White Smoke and Black Smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White Smoke and Black Smoke Please Help - Can't afford a new vehicle

I have a 95 with 400k and I ran it on used veg oil and used motor oil for a couple tanks (since had 2-3 tanks of diesel flushed through the system) and it's white smoking all the time and black smoking on acceleration and a little at cruising speeds.

Any ideas what to look for?

I have Auto Enginuity if that can help me any.

It fires right up without the glow plugs being plugged in (don't use em in the summer).

Last edited by nicksorenson; 06-13-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
does it smoke all the time or is it on start up?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It smokes all the time, and actually it smokes less at startup. After 1-2 minutes of idling it builds a nice huge cloud of white smoke. It doesn't smell like antifreeze (the exhaust). It's a raw fuel smell at the exhaust.

Last edited by nicksorenson; 06-13-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Fuel filter/bowl clean?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksorenson View Post
I have a 95 with 400k and I ran it on used veg oil and used motor oil for a couple tanks (since had 2-3 tanks of diesel flushed through the system) and it's white smoking all the time and black smoking on acceleration and a little at cruising speeds.

Any ideas what to look for?

I have Auto Enginuity if that can help me any.

It fires right up without the glow plugs being plugged in (don't use em in the summer).

If you cant afford new transportation why would you run vegg and WMO in your truck?? Did you do any research before dumping the stuff in your tank??

Sounds to me like you have serious fuel issues. You should probably just sell your truck.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post

If you cant afford new transportation why would you run vegg and WMO in your truck?? Did you do any research before dumping the stuff in your tank??

Sounds to me like you have serious fuel issues. You should probably just sell your truck.
That's a lot of assumption there. I have done a couple years worth of reading on WVO usage and some on WMO. Most of the experiences I've read about have been good. I've also used the stuff myself in a few vehicles. I drove a few diesel Mercedes cars using the stuff and owned one 300SD that a previous owner just dumped it in the tank (no two tanks or heating etc) and the car had 400k on the clock with great compression (I checked it when I bought the car). I have a centrifuge cleaning rig, and this van that I'm now having trouble with was prepared to do it right (has a 2 tank heated system, dual filters, dual pumps). So yes, I have done some reading and have some experience. And... can't afford is realative. I don't want a car payment like the rest of the world. That's what I mean by can't afford.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksorenson View Post
That's a lot of assumption there. I have done a couple years worth of reading on WVO usage and some on WMO. Most of the experiences I've read about have been good. I've also used the stuff myself in a few vehicles. I drove a few diesel Mercedes cars using the stuff and owned one 300SD that a previous owner just dumped it in the tank (no two tanks or heating etc) and the car had 400k on the clock with great compression (I checked it when I bought the car). I have a centrifuge cleaning rig, and this van that I'm now having trouble with was prepared to do it right (has a 2 tank heated system, dual filters, dual pumps). So yes, I have done some reading and have some experience. And... can't afford is realative. I don't want a car payment like the rest of the world. That's what I mean by can't afford.
I'm not assuming anything. I made statements based on the information you gave me. Even with the new information provided there is still not enough to point you in any one direction.

Most people that know me will tell you i am an azzhole. Which i dont deny, i simply tell it like it is. If you have done alot of RESEARCH then you should know your fuels and what works best in your truck. WMO is not one of them.

There is a Bio-Fuels section here on the ORG where you might get better answers than mine. As i said it sounds like you need to go through your fuel system thoroughly or provide more info as to what you have already done or tried to remedy the situation.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fair enough there. I've read quite a bit but it's been a few years and I hadn't seen the WVO/WMO not compatible thing until now. I still don't think that was the issue but who knows it may be. The reason I don't think it was the issue is that I still have good fuel pressure (50 psi) and I've also touched the possible offending fuel and it wasn't sticky it was slick.

One thing I do know is that I drove my old 6.2 on WMO for a tank or two and it smoked and lost power. It came back with a tank or two of D2 but in this case (Powerstroke) it's not seeming to return to full power.

I'll pull all 8 injectors clean them and see what I get. I've already checked compression on the easy to get to bank and it was 400+ on all but one cylinder and 320 on that one. I'm not sure if the guage was sealing for that cylinder but I checked it several times.

Last edited by nicksorenson; 06-18-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, just ran a compression test (using my new adapter) and I have good compression results (400 +- 5psi on all 8 cyls).

So now I need to figure out what's wrong with the injectors. I'll be cleaning the tips carefully and also checking out the fuel side to see if I find anything out of place or worn. These were rebuilt less than 10k miles ago so it's a bummer that I'm back into this already. I'm sure it had to do with the Alt Fuels. Not worth it in my opinion. I noticed smoking at idle with the 2 tanked WVO but nothing like this until the WMO. Now I get asked about the smoke by anyone who knows me and sees the van running. It's that bad. I still think the WVO was having some effect since I'd get decent smoking even at idle. But live and learn.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You may have said it and i missed it. Did you just pour the wvo and WMO in thru your d2 tank? Any heat applied?

To my understanding wvo and WMO do not mix well. Sounds to me like you are going to have a huge sludgy mess.

Keep us posted. I'm curious what your going to find and how you have your set up now

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.