Radiator and fan install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 04:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Radiator and fan install

Hey all. Have a leak in my radiator so I ordered a new one. Will be here tomorrow. I also ordered the fan blades for the 6.0 bc they are lighter. It arrived today. Never did any if this before so if anyone can help and give me suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Radiator and fan install-imageuploadedbyag-free1371085082.821326.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I forget the year of your truck (you might want to fill out a signature in your profile that has that info in it). My 94 radiator shroud was held in with 4 bolts (IIRC), while my 97 had only two (and some locating tabs on the bottom). I remove the shroud and fan/fan clutch assembly together (see below for the fan). The stock metal fan has sharp blades, so be careful with them (easy to slice yourself).

The radiator hoses are straightforward (you can drain the fluid using the drain valve on the bottom of the radiator ... there's quite a bit, so have enough/big enough containers on hand) and if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to undo the transmission lines that go into the cooler that's part of the bottom of the radiator assembly. You will probably want to find some hose, etc. to plug the lines after undoing them so you are not dripping trans fluid all over.

To install the new fan, you will want a fan clutch wrench set to remove the fan and fan clutch as a unit. AutoZone will rent you a set for free. The AutoZone set part number for a PSD is #27141 (the others don't fit). One of the wrenches will go on the big fan clutch nut, while the other will go over the 4 pulley bolts (leave the belt on too). The fan clutch is right-hand threaded (righty-tighty, lefty-loosey!). A suggestion: I like to place a big piece of cardboard between the radiator a fan when removing/installing the fan assembly to avoid possible damage to the radiator. Once the fan clutch is undone and the shroud is undone, pull them up and out together (also the same for reinstall). Hope that helps. I'm sure I left something out, but the good folks here will be glad to point that out (... I mean fill in the blanks)

Cheers!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
I forget the year of your truck (you might want to fill out a signature in your profile that has that info in it). My 94 radiator shroud was held in with 4 bolts (IIRC), while my 97 had only two (and some locating tabs on the bottom). I remove the shroud and fan/fan clutch assembly together (see below for the fan). The stock metal fan has sharp blades, so be careful with them (easy to slice yourself).

The radiator hoses are straightforward (you can drain the fluid using the drain valve on the bottom of the radiator ... there's quite a bit, so have enough/big enough containers on hand) and if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to undo the transmission lines that go into the cooler that's part of the bottom of the radiator assembly. You will probably want to find some hose, etc. to plug the lines after undoing them so you are not dripping trans fluid all over.

To install the new fan, you will want a fan clutch wrench set to remove the fan and fan clutch as a unit. AutoZone will rent you a set for free. The AutoZone set part number for a PSD is #27141 (the others don't fit). One of the wrenches will go on the big fan clutch nut, while the other will go over the 4 pulley bolts (leave the belt on too). The fan clutch is right-hand threaded (righty-tighty, lefty-loosey!). A suggestion: I like to place a big piece of cardboard between the radiator a fan when removing/installing the fan assembly to avoid possible damage to the radiator. Once the fan clutch is undone and the shroud is undone, pull them up and out together (also the same for reinstall). Hope that helps. I'm sure I left something out, but the good folks here will be glad to point that out (... I mean fill in the blanks)

Cheers!
Thanks so much for this in depth how to! I appreciate it so much. I am just replacing the fan, not the whole assembly though. So, I don't think I need to remove the fan clutch as well?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Unpremium Member

I've never pulled a radiator w/o having pulled the fan clutch, fan and shroud out together. I'm not sure there is room.

I have swapped fan blades to the 6.0 w/o removing the shroud (but loosened the 4 shroud bolts), but the fan clutch had to be removed to make it work. It's tight work up in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.