Couple '96 PSD Questions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
Question Couple '96 PSD Questions?

To start off, I am 16 have a good general knowledge of PSD and am pretty capable, but if you think I should not do some of these things, please tell me, I do not want to harm my truck.
The truck is a '96 4x4 PSD LB EXCB with 275k miles.

I obviously want more power, but as well I want more black smoke.
I have already put in the Superchip 1705. and taken out the muffler and welded in a piece of pipe. and done the diy intake with the napa filter.

This weekend I am going to execute the AIC mod as well as the 10K resistor mod. IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD KNOW beside just following the instructions here Tips - Idea - Hints ??

Also in the near future I would like to see about replacing the downpipe and taking out the CAT. Any suggestions on where I should purchase the downpipe (CHEAPEST)? As for taking out the CAT I think I will just cut it out and weld in a piece of pipe.

Now, I have been told by some people that the CAT has to be in there for backpressure? Is that true? Also, am I correct with saying the CAT is the device just outside of the transfer case skid plate? Just after where is couples with the downpipe?

I know this alot, but could yall please try and answer these questions. If you can post PICS, that would be awesome!!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 01:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hello well when I was your age I was building small block chevys and mopars so if you say you know about the powerstrokes then you should attempt it. first thing though ditch the super chips and get a TW chip you won't creat really any black smoke with your stock injectors you would need to upgrade them for some more smoke. I also think the 10k mod is a waste of time. if you can get a set of guages first before you really do anything. as for an exchaust I am running a 3" down pipe with an adapter from 3" to 4" then I am running a 4" diamond eye exhaust no cat not muff. best 325 bucks I have ever spent. hope this all helps.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
Hey dude, I'm 15 myself and we basically have the same rigs! What color is yours?

Of course I want alot of smoke myself, but with these stock injectors you won't get a deep cloud of smoke. You can get a noticable amount tho so ur friends can see, and for the stupid ricers haha. Now on RPMoutlet.com there is an exhaust kit for $250, I saw this the other day. it comes with 3" DP to 4" exhaust. Also the DP has a bung for a boost gauge sensor.

And i dont think the backpressure information is true, because most everyone on here's trucks are piped.

If you get a chip witha crazy smoke tune there should be a fair amount of smoke.

And yeah your probably gonna need gauges for the future, cause your always gonna want more power. and then u gotta keep an eye on things. I dont have gauges yet cause the weeekend job i have doesnt pay much, so i'm saving for exhaust. Already done the DIY intake too.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:21 AM

As I am 19, I'm in your same boat. Now for the bad news; black smoke, while awesome and great for drowning ricers, is actually harmful to your engine. All that black coming out of your tailpipe must first go through the head where a large amount of that smoke (carbon) is deposited. Consequently, your egt's will be lower if you can eliminate that smoke, thus prolonging the life of your engine. By far, one of the best things you can do for you engine is water/methanol injection. Not only does this cool the exhaust, but in some cases, can actually clean the internals of your engine.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Look through my sig for some other cheap tricks, and some not so cheap to get a strong truck that will smoke, if you want it to. I prefer to keep the soot to a minimum, but i can turn it up and erase whatever is behind me.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:47 PM

in personal OBS powerstroke experience which is rather extensive, ive found that an EDGE EVO programmer causes the most smoke of any programmer and the most power for stock injectors. with 275K on the motor i wouldnt recommend upgrading injectors unless u go with some of the smaller sets like stage I's at the most (160cc). as u r 16 im gonna take a guess that cheapis ur route, so for the exhaust for now u can just take off the CAT and take a crow bar and knock all the fillin out of it and put it back in. the turbo will whistle quite a bit and ull get lower exhaust back pressure and lower EGT's the major problem with our OBS trucks exhaust is the downpipe if ull notiice it ges real flat right after the turbo where it goes next to the firewall which this drastically reduces flow. JMO but i think that my bully dog exhaust has the best sound of all the other manufacturers out there, but thats just me. if u decide to upgrade ur injectors be planning on purchasing a ball bearing turbo cuz that stock turbo will NOT handle the pressure or it trust me i know first hand.
feel free to PM me if u have any questions if i cant get back to this topic.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:56 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
I have finished my AIC mod, and that is cool. I also have my cat and muffler out, and it sounds great, I ill replacing DP later. Like I said, I already have superchip 1705. Now after a few days and about 800 miles things are performing well, I like the increased throttle response straight pipes and diy intake. The rig sounds nice, but not obnoxious. And thus far I have only spent $200.

I don't think I will be messing with injectors, or the upgrade kit... Atleast not in this truck.
And Taylor, it is kinda green and kinda tan. HA
Old 03-24-2008, 04:00 PM

find sombody with en edge and just ask them to let u try it.... ull be sellin that superchips and buyin one trust me... my first programer was the superchips and when i installed my brothers edge i said to hell with the superchips. i got about half again more smoke and about 10-15 more hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.