Thinking about purchasing 97 F350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about purchasing 97 F350

I am thinking about purchasing a 97 F350. What kind of issues can I expect to a have with the diesel trucks from this time frame? I have read about the CPS recall which seems easy enough to deal with. Currently I have a 2012 Ram 2500 and am tired of constant oil changes and the other issues that come along with the new emissions junk on the vehicle.

With that said I have found a white and green 97 f350 with 119k on it. From the pictures it looks like it is in good shape. The truck is over 1000 miles from me though and I am skeptical about buying something sight unseen.

What kind of fuel mileage did these trucks get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My dually gets around 15-17, an my f250 gets 17-20, these trucks with the heui system uses oil to activate the injectors unlike the cummins/duramax/ newer powerstrokes so it shears oil more, but I'd rather have these than a payment
Old 06-10-2013, 08:18 AM

'97s manuals came with the junk dual mass flywheel, most on the road today have been converted to single mass flywheels. I consistantly get about 14-15mpg but it I stretch it out on the interstate at 60-65mph I can get about 17mpg. I have not had any major problems with my truck, (just rebuilt the trans but at 362,000 miles I call that routine maintenance) knock on wood. My dad bought it in '98 with 21k on it has been an awesome truck. I will have this truck till the day I die.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 AM

These trucks aren't nearly as particular about things as the common rail Cummins...especially the common rail with all the emissions junk. Make sure you have a good glow plug relay, keep a spare CPS handy & keep the oil, air filter & fuel filter changed & you're pretty much good to go. My 96 has 187k on it & has been neglected for the last 5-6 years, and it still has little to no issues.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have been driving new vehicles for at least the last 10 years now minus any project cars I have had sitting around at various times. Just a little bit worried about not having a warranty on a vehicle. I imagine once I do not have a payment or as much of a payment that will subside. From what I have read and seen I am pretty sure I could tackle most issues either by myself or a buddy near by for support.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:08 AM

I hear you on the payment thing. I despise payments myself.

And think of it this way: If you put all the $ you would spend on payments each month in an account & call it your "warranty account". Then if/when you need some $ for repairs, it'll be there & won't break the bank...just like a warranty. I did this with a past truck...once I paid it off, I continued to put the payment away. After a year I was really liking my "warranty account". LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.