Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Thinking about purchasing 97 F350

731 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Tinman23 
#1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing a 97 F350. What kind of issues can I expect to a have with the diesel trucks from this time frame? I have read about the CPS recall which seems easy enough to deal with. Currently I have a 2012 Ram 2500 and am tired of constant oil changes and the other issues that come along with the new emissions junk on the vehicle.

With that said I have found a white and green 97 f350 with 119k on it. From the pictures it looks like it is in good shape. The truck is over 1000 miles from me though and I am skeptical about buying something sight unseen.

What kind of fuel mileage did these trucks get?

#2 ·
My dually gets around 15-17, an my f250 gets 17-20, these trucks with the heui system uses oil to activate the injectors unlike the cummins/duramax/ newer powerstrokes so it shears oil more, but I'd rather have these than a payment

#3 ·
'97s manuals came with the junk dual mass flywheel, most on the road today have been converted to single mass flywheels. I consistantly get about 14-15mpg but it I stretch it out on the interstate at 60-65mph I can get about 17mpg. I have not had any major problems with my truck, (just rebuilt the trans but at 362,000 miles I call that routine maintenance) knock on wood. My dad bought it in '98 with 21k on it has been an awesome truck. I will have this truck till the day I die.

#4 ·
These trucks aren't nearly as particular about things as the common rail Cummins...especially the common rail with all the emissions junk. Make sure you have a good glow plug relay, keep a spare CPS handy & keep the oil, air filter & fuel filter changed & you're pretty much good to go. My 96 has 187k on it & has been neglected for the last 5-6 years, and it still has little to no issues.

#5 ·
I have been driving new vehicles for at least the last 10 years now minus any project cars I have had sitting around at various times. Just a little bit worried about not having a warranty on a vehicle. I imagine once I do not have a payment or as much of a payment that will subside. From what I have read and seen I am pretty sure I could tackle most issues either by myself or a buddy near by for support.

#6 ·
I hear you on the payment thing. I despise payments myself.

And think of it this way: If you put all the $ you would spend on payments each month in an account & call it your "warranty account". Then if/when you need some $ for repairs, it'll be there & won't break the bank...just like a warranty. I did this with a past truck...once I paid it off, I continued to put the payment away. After a year I was really liking my "warranty account". LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.