Steering wheel removal / ignition key - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Infidel

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering wheel removal / ignition key

Any quick tips on removing the steering wheel or on replacing the ignition key tumbler?
Thanks,
Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you have the old key, you insert a pin (I forget what size) through the hole under the lock (or remove the plastic covers if you don't have a hole) and turn the cylinder to release the lock. Pull it out and slip the new one in. Takes about 2 min. The instructions should be in the new cylinder. I got mine at autozone. ($15?) If you look through several of them you may be able to find one with a matched key code that will save you from having to carry multiple keys.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Infidel

Angry

Well I just tried to take the steering wheel off and the threads pulled out with the screws. I took my time threading them in by hand and all of that. Started tightening down on the center screw and the two "stabilizers" pulled out after a few turns. The metal still in the threads of the screws. I am trying to find a tap that will fit and try again. Is the metal that soft?
Craig
Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
it's probably pewter which is pretty soft.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Infidel

This has turned into a freaking nightmare. Tapping the holes out didn't help. Same problem the bolts kept pulling out. So I move on to the ignition key removal and install. The haynes manual say to drill out the small pin in the bottom of the tumbler and then use a screw driver to pry it out. I drill the pin out use the screw driver to pry it out and "pop" the black face plate breaks off. @$#$()*%@#)$*%@

So now it is stuck in there and now I am in the house cooling off.
Craig
Old 03-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Man Craig sorry to hear. I've never done either and that year model. Can't give you any tips...
Old 03-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Infidel

Hey JohnWayne, how are things in Houston?
Well I got the Ignition switch changed out. The Haynes people are full of (Fill in the blank).
All of this comes back to the sloppy gear shift problem I am having and repairing it. I was having problems with the ignition that how it got dragged into this. Anyways, I am back to being sane and will continue to try and track down my original problem.
Craig
Old 03-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Infidel

Well I can't get the original tumbler out after all. It is stuck in there good. Now the key won't even fit in it all of the way or turn it. I am tempted to gt a 1/2 metal drill bit and drill it out.
Any thoughts on this?
Craig
Old 03-17-2008, 11:24 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Wish I had seen this before you pulled the wheel.

I've got some experience with aftermarket wheel hubs and the metal is VERY soft. You have to be very deliberate when putting the alignment bolts back in.

I'm in a similar boat as you are. I have to pull the steering wheel soon to change the clock spring. My snapped when my steering went out. So far, It's been about 3 weeks with no Airbags, horn, or cruise. (I could care less about the airbags.)
Old 03-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Infidel

Hey Ditty,
Yeah, that would have been good info to know. I have pulled steering wheels before w/ no problems and changed out ignitions before. This is partly why I am so frustrated.
Right now I am fubared as I can't do anything with the truck. Thank God it is parked off to the side and we can get our other vehicle in / out of the driveway.

Is there another way to do the ignition where I can put a push button in instead of a key? I guess I would need a switch to turn the glow plugs on / off.
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.