7.3l air intake question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3l air intake question

Hey guy's I'm new here starting today and I have a quick question and want your guys' opinion.
When I was younger I had a 1996 PSD and at that time I installed that intake that seemed so popular at the time which was to remove the factory airbox and install a 3 or 4 inch piece of abs pipe 45 degree bend I believe, and connect that to a dry........ I wanna say 8inch diameter air filter.

Now I have a couple questions here regarding this.....

1) What was the filter number to that setup and what is the exact parts that I will need to get that done?

2) Is it worth doing?

3) Lastly, am I just better off getting a S&B type setup which would be more beneficial or for the cost does it make sense to install what I stated above?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 AM

I think you are referring to the DIY Tymar-style intake setup. You can get the Tymar for about $160 or so, or build your own.

The filter # is 6637, and it flows a heap of air (<--real technical I know--LOL). I would definitely go that route over spending the $$ on an S&B. All a matter of what you want to spend...both will give you cleaner air than the OE setup.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The wix/napa filter as stated above its going to be 6637 or 46637 part number, your going to need a 4" pipe and a 4" clamp to install it, pipe should have a 45* bend in it, WAY cheaper than an s&b, not trying to pull money out of retailers pockets but I don't have $300 to put into just an intake
Old 06-06-2013, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the info. It has been so long I cant remember anymore. lol
I am going to go with this setup then, I just didn't know if the S&B may flow a little cooler air instead of the setup we are talking about? I dont want to spend 300.00$ on the intake either.

Did either of you happen to make something for the filter to cradle in? or just leave it resting on the fender area? Just curious.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:55 AM

I actually haven't done the intake install yet...but am about to here in the next couple of weeks. I'm curious to know about securing the filter as well...although it seems most guys just let it sit there from what I've seen.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
The wix/napa filter as stated above its going to be 6637 or 46637 part number, your going to need a 4" pipe and a 4" clamp to install it, pipe should have a 45* bend in it, WAY cheaper than an s&b, not trying to pull money out of retailers pockets but I don't have $300 to put into just an intake
I'm still trying to decide if I want to use some of the 4" exhaust section I have sitting around, or go with PVC like I've seen others do. Do you have a particular suggestion? (Seems like I read a thread the other day where the guy said he had to bevel the end of his 4" PVC to get the stock rubber boot to slide over the 4" PVC.)
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
As long as it is 4" od (outside diameter) it should fit fine, I used metal exhaust I had laying around but I also used a fram ca8037 filter on my dually, it's bone stock other than exhaust, so I don't care about that much air, my other truck has the all metal afe intake which I love, but it was free so I just won't justify that much dough, you can use a by hid cord to hold it down, but mine is just sitten there with nothing holding it
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM

When I did mine back in the day on my 1996 I just had the air filter sitting there and nothing ever happened to it I guess. Plus your changing the filter every 15k-20k anyways which isn't enough time to have it rub a hole or anything in it.

Speaking of the pipe, I used pvc on mine and it worked great. I will use pvc on this 1995 PSD i have now too.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 AM

I would also stick with the Wix filter 6637, just my opinion. Wix makes a good filter.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 AM

Good deal...I'll check out the 4" exhaust I have & see how the OD measures up. I think either way, the truck will breathe much better...especially with the size of the 6637.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.