Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

The BIGRED got a new exhaust ...

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  351fifty 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, after a couple of days working on it for practically only moments after hours, I finally finished it up this morning. Came out really nice, and sounds great.

I took a lot of pics, so enjoy...
-

-

-

-

-
The ridiculous "small penis" chrome tip ....
-

-

-

-

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
After wrestling the stock downpipe out ... and wrestling the new one in, I quickly realized I didn't like how close the pipe was to the tranny.

Since I had extra pipe from a customers Flowmaster system, I decided to kick it out a bit ... while keeping it all level and square ....
-

-

-

-

-

-

-
If you notice, I cut off the flange of the DE pipe ... no cat ... and I wanted to make it all slip fit.... For the 3", I used one of these leftover clamps. I hit it with the polisher. why not ?
-

#3 · (Edited)
I removed the first hanger (the one right above where the cat would be) and modified it to my needs ....
-
Cut off the end mount, welded the seam, trimmed the gussets ... and gave it some paint ...
-
The first hanger rod was made out of 1/2" (I know, super kill) but it fit snug in orange hanger ...
-
After mockup, I tacked, removed, fully welded, painted and reinstalled the first pipe section....
-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

#5 ·
Looks good, and my trans has a heat shield between the down pipe and trans

#6 · (Edited)
Next up was the middle hanger. Notice how much play there is between the slight bend and the nipple ... too much side to side play. This had to tightened up.
-
I did this by cutting off nipple, and welding in some washers...
-
Then made another hanger rod this time 3/8 to fit hanger....Tap with threads to ease installation ...
-
These slip fit clamps work GREAT !!
-
-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-
-

-

#7 · (Edited)
The third hanger (located at the rear of where the stock muffler would be) was flipped to the outside of the frame into the same holes ... and used to support the tip. This places two hanger close to each other for a nice support... (forgot to get pics of that hanger position)
-
-
Middle pipe done and painted...
-

-
-
-
ALL DONE !
-
-

-
-

-
I went with slip fit so if I decide to "jethoat" coat I can pull apart quickly. Next time we have to coat some pipes for a customer, I might throw mine in too !:thumb:

Next I would like to cut and lower those side bars (they are too close to cab, and a little high for liking)

What ya'all think ??

#9 ·
All the clamps in there look great, and big question, how does it sound? :poke

#10 ·
I must say ... It sounds BAD F#CKIN A$$ !!

I did notice one important thing. (this must be from the down pipe) Right around 2500-2600 RPMS, the turbo seems to spool faster...no more power, just a quicker response.

I wasn't expecting much, if anything, but I can honestly notice something. Next up, is the WIX filter sitting on my desk.

Hmmm, what next cheap mod should I do ?? Buy a resistor ?? :lol:

#11 ·
Going to a bigger filter and adding that down pipe you should notice a much better spool from the turbo and much less lag, your install is good

Sorry for the ninja post earlier lol

#19 ·
It came FREE with the purchase of double stacked tow mirrors .....

Looks great, love the mod to shift it over. Thought about doing that, but there is literally no shops around here that have 4 inch tubing for me to pick up.
Thanks ... That kicked out piece is part of the downpipe which is 3" ...

I have a 5" rbp tip on mine, not a huge fan of giant chrome ones but hell my stacks on the dually are giant chrome ones lol :hehe:

And the ninja post in the middle of your series of install piks lol
Ya .... you really cut into my train of thought there. :doh:

I figured I wouldn't get bothered by posting late at night ... :rofl:

#18 ·
I have a 5" rbp tip on mine, not a huge fan of giant chrome ones but hell my stacks on the dually are giant chrome ones lol :hehe:

And the ninja post in the middle of your series of install piks lol

#20 ·
I have insomnia, I ninja post often lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.