Tranny Temp. help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Tranny Temp. help

Hello all, I left Phoenix two days ago towing my 36' 5th wheel heading to Oregon. I took Carefree hwy to 93 and then over to I-40. I'm in Kingman now and not too sure if I'm going to Oregon. I had a lot of trouble crossing the smaller hills and the bigger ones are still in front of me. I have a 95 F 350 duelly. Upgrades are bully dog cold air intake, new injectors (8), Bellowed uppipe kit, 4" diamond eye turbo back with 3" down pipe, rebuilt E40D tranny with all heavy duty parts, biggest tranny cooler w/o fan made. Going from Phoenix to Kingman my tranny temp hit 200 and sometimes as high as 210. Once I was going up a grade and my "overdrive on" light started blinking and I pulled over asap and just let it idle fow about 5 minutes before shuting down for a while. That stopped the blinking but when it's hot it seems to be idleing not on all cylinders. I don't know how to explain it but it just didn't sound right to me. Since sitting here in an RV park since Friday It sounds like it always does again but it isn't hot from towing either. My 5th wheel weights 12500. Is the trailer just too heavy for this truck or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 05:05 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Are you down shifting out of od to keep the boost up? 210 is high but I would have kept going, you need to find out what codes the trans is throwing as well, do you have egt/boost gauges too?

Arizona is just unlucky for me
Old 06-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Were you going up the hill with the TC locked or unlocked?
If it seems like you're not on all cylinders, might have a cracked flywheel?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:48 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

He has an auto
Old 06-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

351fifty:I don't have a boost gauge but I do take it out of OD to keep the RPMs up. The two gauges I have are a tranny temp and an EGT. I have no way to get codes on the tranny but I think it would throw out hot tranny code. The ambient temp outside was in the 90's also. Average tranny temp on this trip so far was 192. Wonder if I should put an electronic fan on my cooler?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:36 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

As long as your moving the tranny fluid cooler should be fine, a fan won't hurt either tho, and more than likely the trans is throwing an over heat code, have you checked the fluid level? As far as the not firing on all cylenders thing goes you should check the uvch, and there are a couple other things to check, but with out a code reader and diagnostic tool to run tests it's kind of hard,

Kingman az is rite before the ca state line rite?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what is a uvch? The level was checked before I left Phoenix but I haven't checked it lately. I'll do that tomarrow. ya, kingman is about 65 miles from the ca border. I was planning on going through vegas and up NV to Reno. The climb that way is gradual till Reno. I'm not sure it isn't firing on all cylinders. It just didn't sound right to me while I was sitting on the side of the road cooling it off. When I started it up again it seemed to be fine and ideling normal. I did get some Lucus injector cleaner today to add to the fuel. Also, I could have gotten a bad load of fuel when I filled up at circle K in Phoenix.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I wouldn't be too worried about 210 degrees, when it hits 250 I would be worried. However, it really shouldn't get that hot. You need to get the codes ran. I'd drive it to a tranny shop and have them run it. It could be the TC or clutch packs slipping that it raising temps.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Were you going up the hill with the TC locked or unlocked?
If it seems like you're not on all cylinders, might have a cracked flywheel?
Not to hyjack the post but, got a question. When you asked, if the OP was running with the TC locked or unlocked, is that another way of asking if he has OD engaged or disengaged?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:36 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlsalem View Post
what is a uvch? The level was checked before I left Phoenix but I haven't checked it lately. I'll do that tomarrow. ya, kingman is about 65 miles from the ca border. I was planning on going through vegas and up NV to Reno. The climb that way is gradual till Reno. I'm not sure it isn't firing on all cylinders. It just didn't sound right to me while I was sitting on the side of the road cooling it off. When I started it up again it seemed to be fine and ideling normal. I did get some Lucus injector cleaner today to add to the fuel. Also, I could have gotten a bad load of fuel when I filled up at circle K in Phoenix.
Under valve cover harness, but check the fluids and make sure trans fluid don't smell burnt as well, and a bad load of fuel would also through the water in fuel light or fuel filter light, but like also said have the codes read
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohsp4u View Post
Not to hyjack the post but, got a question. When you asked, if the OP was running with the TC locked or unlocked, is that another way of asking if he has OD engaged or disengaged?
No, the trans unlocked produces a lot more heat as opposed to unlock, only real way to tell without adding a light to inform is just by feel pretty much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.