OBS FPR SHIM? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS FPR SHIM?

Ok im a newbie to the forum and just bought my truck a month ago pics of the truck are under the introductions forum "new truck" thread anyways liked I have been warned I am getting addicted to this site and have been searching and reading for hours instead of studying for my stats test like I should be doing instead, I came across a write up on the FPR Shim, and wanted to do it to my truck but had a quick question. I don't have any bbs but I reload shotgun shells and have alot of steel shot would a #2 steel shot work or should I just go to walmart and get a package of bb's? and should I get a gauge to install too and see if the pressure is right or will I be fine just putting in the bb and reinstall the brass plug? I have a 96 with a K&N intake banks 1.0 housing, banks intercooler and a 3.5 inch straight piped exhaust would doing this mod be effective and worth it?

I also found a write up on the IDM mod would this be a worth it mod for me too? I am pretty mechanically inclined and thought myself to weld, fix any problem with my old car, as well as fix alot of stuff that breaks down around the house so doing stuff myself doesn't scare me.

thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just did the bb mod a couple weeks ago. It helped my truck's idle smooth out. I've got an Edge tuner and after setting up the tune, it idled rough. I did the same to a buddy's truck and he saw no difference. One thing to watch for is there is a dimple on the plug. You need to make sure that dimple is located in the end of the spring when reinstalling the plug. When I did mine, I was careless when I reinstalled the plug and bent the spring. I had over 120 psi showing on the gauge when I started the truck. I took it back apart, tweeked the spring back into shape and reinstalled correctly and had 70-75 psi.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

hi and welcome. the bb mod is easy to do and worth it. the only downfall is that you will have many bbs left over just hit walmart and spend the 2 bucks on a pack of bbs. another thing to is make sure you clean your screen located in the fuel bowl. this being cloged can and will affect this mod yet alone your trucks performance and milage. and yes get a guage to monitor incase of spikes. I installed a guage on my piller that has an eltrical sending unit. hope this helps
Old 03-13-2008, 11:58 AM

Location: West Jordan UT, Currently working in Colo. Springs CO.
every truck is different so check ur pressure first, you may not even need to shim it. as for the K&N toss it in the trash and get something better. AFE, or a lot of people go with a Tymar DIY kit it 's probably the cheapest
Old 03-13-2008, 12:07 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OBS FPR Shim and Gauge Install
Old 03-13-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
yep that the one I read, alright it sounds like 1) I should definitally get a gauge, 2) get a pack of bbs, 3) check the pressure first, 4) put bb in if needed, 5) clean screen, and the K&N swapped out with a AFE is #1 on my other list of things to do to the truck anybody know a part # for the AFE filter that will bolt directly into my K&N kit instead of the K&N filter? thanks for all the help so far!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:28 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have a 4" tube for the K&N?

If so... the AFE isn't the only option - you also have the Napa filter.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
Do you have a 4" tube for the K&N?

If so... the AFE isn't the only option - you also have the Napa filter.
yea it is the 4 inch tube, which one is better (filters more) and which one is better (performance) price is a factor but I want what is best for my truck don't want to have to replace anything because of a bad filter which is what I hear about the K&N (it lets in dirt/dust or something like that?)
Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 PM

also does anybody have any suggestions on what and where to get a fuel pressure gauge im going to try Napa tomorrow I need a liquid one right?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 PM

liquid yes you will want one that read 100+ psi the part number depending on what AFE you want is

51-10792 thats the stage II pro dry

54-10792 that is the one I am running

and lastly

75-10792 thats with th pro 7 filter

advanced FLOW engineering : Product Search v3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.