Boost & EGT numbers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost & EGT numbers

Wanted to get some opinions. I have recently chipped my truck (see sig) and installed guages. This weekend I towed my camper about 35 miles and its just under 7k. This is the first thing I have towed since I got the chip. There was one long grade that I had my chip set in 80 tow that my egt's got up to 1200 before I let off. Is this normal? I am worried what will happen if I hitch up 10k or more. Also, what is everyone getting for boost numbers? On the 100 hp setting I am maxed out at about 22psi and 12-14psi stock. I was thinking if my boost #'s were low it would cause a higher egt. It seems to me I should be a little higher. I do get a little black smoke at wot on 100hp or 80hp. I do have a slight engine miss between 1200-1900 rpms. Prolly an injector just havent had time to get it checked. Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

U can peg ur get gauge in a stock truck fairly easily as well as for numbers I don't let mine get over 1250. And for boost I'm not in a race anywhere when hooked to a trailer and I hit 16 psi of boost regularly. Without a trailer connected making a good pull it makes 26 to 28 psi of boost

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Non Cali trucks still had 90cc singles in '97. 16 PSI stock was pretty normal in these trucks. Tuned people have seen up to 23-4+ PSI but to get the most from your towing consider to start saving up for stage 1's and a 1.0 housing plus a Intercooler. If you are still thinking that your numbers are low check all the exhaust pre-turbo for loose bolts and soot (exhaust leaks) and look into the turbo for excessive oil. Also check all you boots and all the way around your plenums for a pushed out gasket (all boost leak spots). Next disassemble the FPR and clean the screen. This is probably your hiccup while accelerating.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM

Cleaned the screen this afternoon and wow was that thing dirty. It was clogged to the point to that it was holding fuel back. As soon as I removed it a few ounces of fuel spilled out. took it for a short drive and I wasn't getting any missing during accel. Still getting the black smoke during wot on the 80 or 100. is this normal? I have read that you shouldnt see smoke until you upgrade injectors. It doesn't bother me I just want to know it's being caused by a problem rather than normal operation. Thanks

btw after I cleaned it I pegged out the boost at 25 psi
Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yes a little black smoke is going to be normal even with stock sticks, your just not going to get a whole lot
Old 05-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Glad you got your issue figured out. A clogged screen will definitely cause issues when it comes to efficient and smooth running.

A little puff of black smoke is normal until the turbo lights and the boost builds. It does not seem like you have any boost leaks though, since 25psi is an acceptable number.

If you ever have any questions about your tuning, feel free to contact me or anyone else here at DP-Tuner. We would be happy to help you out.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 PM

Awesome. I'm sure one day ill upgrade injectors but pretty happy with everything now. Hopefully the screen clean will help mpgs as well.

Also, Very happy with the chip from dp tuner!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMac View Post
Awesome. I'm sure one day ill upgrade injectors but pretty happy with everything now. Hopefully the screen clean will help mpgs as well.

Also, Very happy with the chip from dp tuner!
Yeah, a good working fuel system helps in every aspect.

Glad you are happy with the tunes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.