1996 7.3 - And a few questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1996 7.3 - And a few questions (picture heavy)

Thought I'd show off my truck and ask a few questions. I picked this one up about a year ago. 1996 7.3 4x4, 160,000 miles for $5,000. It was previously owned by a older guy who is a diesel mechanic for ford. It has every single factory options including a camper shell. It's in great condition, no rust, great interior, meticulously maintained, and runs like a dream. And gets about 18mpg.

I've been slowly upgrading things as I go along. Currently it has a Edge chip, S&B cold air intake, MBRP 4.5" exhaust (turbo back), new garrett turbo, new shoes, and new shocks. I did a few aesthetic mods including, painted grill, painted wheels, painted rear axle, bed liner, and removed tailgate cover.

Im looking to change up the chip and the exhaust. I have heard the Edge tears up transmissions (i drive with the granny mod so I haven't had a problem). And I don't like how I can't change settings on the go. I also would like to strait pipe it. Im planning on removing everything from the muffler back (see picture below) and bringing it out the side or up through the bed into a stack.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good stack kit or a turnout pipe section? Also, what chip do you guys use that lets you adjust settings while driving.

Heres a few pics

Last edited by connorr93; 05-26-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Very nice rig there, those look like hummer tires, and most use a ts style 6 pos chip with custom tunes, and your missing the chrome cladding to show off your rig is an xlt btw, but over all a great looking truck
Old 05-26-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Very nice rig there, those look like hummer tires, and most use a ts style 6 pos chip with custom tunes, and your missing the chrome cladding to show off your rig is an xlt btw, but over all a great looking truck
Ok, thats what I came up with in my research. I actually took the cladding off. It was way to delicate and got scratched and dented up very easily.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Makes sense, I got a truck with it and every truck I got without it I wish it had lol, but great truck dude
Old 05-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you stole that thing for 5,000, its gorgeous. I would do a single stack, side pipe gets soot all over the side of the truck and x2 on the six position with custom tunes. i just ordered some
Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red '97 View Post
you stole that thing for 5,000, its gorgeous. I would do a single stack, side pipe gets soot all over the side of the truck and x2 on the six position with custom tunes. i just ordered some
Thanks, right after I bought it I took it to a diesel mechanic and after looking it over he offered to buy it from me for $6,500.

I know the side exit gets exhaust everywhere but I transport dirtbikes in the bed and Im kinda worried that they would get covered with coal with a stack. I think Ill do the side exit for now and maybe do a stack later if I don't like it. Does anyone know where I can find a turned 4.5" section of piping that I could use for a side exit?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Connor93,
I have a 96er myself. I would suggest replacing the stock turbo down pipe. I ended putting in a 3" pipe. Did that a few months ago. a HUGE difference.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldghamr View Post
Connor93,
I have a 96er myself. I would suggest replacing the stock turbo down pipe. I ended putting in a 3" pipe. Did that a few months ago. a HUGE difference.
Yep. I did that when I did my exhaust.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 AM

Napa should be able to help out on the pipe. i dont know if they carry 4.5 but i know they have 4" and 5" and up. bigger elbows like that start to get kinda pricey tho nice rig btw i love that color scheme!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 AM

Would there be any problems with having the exhaust exiting right beside the tank until I get the side exit pipe section?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.