money to be made in the industry - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
money to be made in the industry

i've been looking at going to UTI tech to study in the cummins program. Is there any money to be made in this industry? For instance, working at a diesel manufacturer or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There is TONS of money to be made. I am going to Lincoln College Of Technology in Indianapolis starting this June. I know there is a locomotive company in Mississippi that gives $20,000 bonus to pay back schooling, and starts at 54k a year. I know BMW will be going 100% diesel in 2011 and almost anywhere in BMW starting is 80k a year. Also a buddy of mine's brother works with GM and they told him that if he'd gone into diesel then he would be making about three times what he is making (6-figures NO problem!)

And a plus is, with diesel, you can go into many different fields, like farm equipment, semi-trucks, light-medium duty trucks, cars, trains, generators, marine (even cruise ships), the opportunities seem endless.

Its what I am goin into
Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 AM

well if your gonna study in the cummins program there probably wont be much work. LOL but if you studied ford then you would have TONS of work, im always fixin my pos seems like
Old 03-06-2008, 07:52 AM

What I'm going into for the schooling part, is an associates degree in "Applied Science in Diesel and Truck Technology"

So it's diesel technology in general, that's where the opportunities arise, that you can go work for the railroad, then if you get sick of it, go work for Carnival Cruise line and live in Florida, and make good money doing any of it.

My reccomendation is don't go into just one single solitary thing like cummins.
At the college I am going to, the diesel program has a couple CAT engines, a bunch of Detroit 60 Series engines, a few Cummins engines, and just got a Powerstroke7.3 so you learn it all pretty much.

School I think is to get basics, and then get the rest of it out of experience.
I'm excited
Old 03-06-2008, 11:12 AM

I went to lincoln tech but didnt take the associates courses and that was a big mistake...couldnt get a job....now I wish I had taken the courses...Good luck to yall...diesel is the way of the future....
Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 AM

yes there is a ton of money just alone in the diesel industry small trucks or large semi I am attending wyotech in 2 weeks for the diesel and advance diesel plus other stuff.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to FiberglassEater
yup diesel is the way to the future, remember working on yachts will probaly make you more money than a dealer or whatever.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
ok thats awesome. Someone told me that a walmart nearby was needing mechanics and starting off @ $20/hr. Thats pretty good money for a couple years of school.

So I live in NC, and the only place i know of to study is UTI Tech which has a campus in Orlando, FL. Do any of you guys know any place else that it "close by" that i could attend to stucy a broader range of diesels?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Many shops wont hire uti or wyotech grads, i believe you are better off going to a community technical college.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorking View Post
ok thats awesome. Someone told me that a walmart nearby was needing mechanics and starting off @ $20/hr. Thats pretty good money for a couple years of school.

So I live in NC, and the only place i know of to study is UTI Tech which has a campus in Orlando, FL. Do any of you guys know any place else that it "close by" that i could attend to stucy a broader range of diesels?
Nashville Auto & Diesel in Nashville, TN. Wayy better school then UTI. i know somewhere who went there and loved it.he is now a mechanic at one the local sterling dealership. i know another guy i went to school with is a Diesel Mechanic for a huge construction company around here(he used to be a mechanic at the Caterpillar dealer here, Carolina Cat). And another one is a diesel mechanic for Covington Detroit, the main detroit diesel dealer here in NC(dunno if you have heard of them or not). I'll find where those 2 went to school, and get back to you.

where in NC do you live?

Last edited by CoalRollinRoosterCruiser; 03-06-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.