Adding an Aux Fuel Filter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adding an Aux Fuel Filter?

To make a long story short I am going through OEM fuel filters every few weeks due to the amount on contamination in one of my tanks (someone put sugar in some other shi* in my tanks) and it is having a domino affect on the fuel system. At $30 a piece the OEM filters are getting expensive and do not seem to keep everything out of the injectors because the truck has not been running 100%.

Has anyone put a secondary aux fuel filter on the frame rail like a racor system? Do you see any problems with doing this as far as fuel flow goes or drawbacks to doing this? If anyone has indeed done this please let me know where you mounted your aux filter and what fuel lines you chose to pull from and where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You can add another filter but it will be a challenge to prime with the mechanical pump. What you really need to do is drop the tank and clean it out then flush the lines. It's not worth the risk to just keep replacing filters hoping everything gets caught. You should also look into getting some locking caps for the tanks.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:41 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i agree drop the tank and clean it and flush the lines. It is not hard to drop the tank.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:23 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
X3, way safer then chancing a filter, and x2 on locking gas caps
Old 05-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hey guys I appreciate all the responses. I have actually already dropped the tank, washed it out and back flushed the fuel lines and I still keep getting a ton of crap in the filters and I really dont want to drop the tanks again.... So my only guess is that someone keeps putting stuff in the tank or I am getting really, really bad fuel but that is highly unlikely because I have tested their fuel in a clear container after the first time because I originally thought I got bad fuel. Thats why I was thinking maybe add the second filters for some extra piece of mind. I bought locking gas caps and I put them on and twisted them to test and one broke so I figured that would be pointless except piss me off every time I have to fuel up.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I put in-line fuel filters on the frame just past the tank selector valve. While I was at it, I actually put two: the first a 10 micron water separator, and the second a 3 micron sediment filter. When you count the fuel filter on the engine, all my fuel actually goes through three filters before reaching the injectors.

Although the mechanical fuel pump will pull through all my filters, I added an auxiliary 12 volt pusher fuel pump on the frame with the auxiliary filters, which pushes fuel to the engine at about 5 psi. This assures the extra filters will not overburden the engine's fuel pump especially as they load up with debris.

I used Wix (Napa) fuel filter heads. They have extra ports on them, so while I was at it, I also put an electric fuel pressure gauge reading from one of the ports, which can tell me when the auxiliary filters need changing and assures me the auxiliary pump is working.

Although I've probably overdone it, my fuel surely is clean and I sleep well at night. And the factory fuel filter is rarely changed nowadays since the fuel is quite clean by the time it reaches there.

BTW, I also have locking fuel caps.

Yep, I'm paranoid. But that isn't necessarily crazy, as the OP has found out. It's not that unusual to get a load of debris from the filling station either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.