Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Should overdrive be off for towing?

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  97dieselstroke 
#1 ·
I remember reading somewhere that overdrive should be turned off when hauling heavy loads. If this is true what constitutes a heavy load? I have a 2,000lb boat or so and never mess with it but I am going to be pulling a 6,000lb tractor about 100 miles both hwy and city at the end of the week

Also, I have no chip yet, all stock e40d

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Turn the od off when going up hill, if your truck is lugging uphill and not getting it anymore, your egt's are probably sky rocketing, and boost is really low, get rpms up builds boost and drops egt

#3 ·
Is this the same thinking, (OD off up hill or lugging), for a 12000 pound load?

#4 · (Edited)
Pros and cons of both. With the OD on you lug the engine creating higher EGTs. With it off your tranny's TC heats the trans oil fast. I haul a 12,000+ trailer and leave the OD on unless I need to take it out. Then, my chip is designed for me hauling so I'm cheating there.

#6 ·
^^ this should be exactly what everyone should do with their auto's

#7 ·
i thought it was bad for the tranny to try and put it under heavy load with a lugged engine in overdrive? cant that wear it out faster? i just dont accelerate in overdrive or go up hills with it when i tow, turn it back on when im cruising. i also turn it off in town with heavy traffic so the tranny doesnt go between 3rd and overdrive more than it needs to

#8 ·
The E4OD can be towed in OD for as long as you want. I only turn it off when I want to stay in higher RPMs or when it startes to hunt.

The Dodges have a problem with oil pump flow at too low of RPM when in OD. Your Ford is fine.

#9 ·
2nd.

#10 ·
depending on what gears u have (3.55) leaving it off might be better off i tow an 10K race trailer and just leave it off egts stay alot lower and seems to get better fuel mileage running 65-68 ish down interstate

#12 ·
As mentioned before turn it of while going up hills and in town driving. i frequently pull 2 skidsteers on a 40' gooseneck and do just that. i have not yet had any problems.same goes for if its hunting for gears. ohh and a aux tranny cooler and a temp gauge is also a good investment if your towing heavy loads alot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.