Buying a used RV with a 1995 E350 Powerstroke Diesel engine - Been Sitting for 3 yrs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying a used RV with a 1995 E350 Powerstroke Diesel engine - Been Sitting for 3 yrs

My brother wants to sell me his 1995 Thor Chateau 30ft RV. The RV has the Ford E-350 Powerstroke diesel engine. The engine has only 42,300 miles. The RV has been sitting for over 3 years and used as a storage unit. I know I probably should not have done this without changing the fluids, gas, rubber hoses, belts, etc., but I started it over the weekend. It started immediately and runs very smooth. I noticed a couple things when the starting the RV. The ABS light stays on and the gas indicator does not seem to be working (stuck at full). Can someone provide a list of things that needs to be checked or replaced before I start the engine ahead. Once again, the RV has been sitting for over 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 06:31 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Change fluids and filters, run some type of diesel treatment in it and you should be good to go
Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 AM
BANNED by Kris

Tires have a date age too. Might be time for tires before you plan a trip.

Last edited by BigFuel; 05-13-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes.. The back tires definitely needs replacing...
Old 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Change fluids and filters, run some type of diesel treatment in it and you should be good to go
What about rubber hoses and belts? Do they need to be replaced? Based on your comments, this seem to be a very good diesel engine by Ford.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:50 PM
BANNED by Kris

cause it's not a Ford

It's an International Harvester (now Chase IH) built for heavy tractors and mid duty OTR trucks. Penske had tones of these in 22-24 box and stake trucks.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

These are great motors, both mine are over 300k, and if the hoses and belt look worn or dry rotted swap em, if not carry spares, I carry a belt Kause hoses usually break at the ends, I could cut them down and inch or 2 to get me to a parts house
Old 05-14-2013, 01:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies so far... Any idea on why the ABS light stays on and how to a fix a stuck fuel gauge indicator? Additionally, is this engine powerful enough to haul 6 adult people in the RV? I read on another forum that the engine have performance issues when carrying a heavy load in the RV. Please advise..

Last edited by pglover19; 05-14-2013 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Another question
Old 05-14-2013, 07:45 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

ive hauled atleast 15k, several here have hauled over 25k, the engine should have no issues hauling 6 people and a hollow shell, they would not have put it in there if it wasn't up to the task
Old 05-14-2013, 07:58 AM
BANNED by Kris

Get an EGT gauge at the least and carry on. I have a friend with a 7.3 bus that he converted to a RV. Hauls crap all over the state with 10 -15 of his friends. Gearing and gas pedals are the biggest damper to our/any motor. Keep the EGTs under 1300* and downshift when needed she'll serve you for a long time. I haul a 12,000#+ 3 horse trailer that has living quarters. Kris, hauls trucks and cargo across the US. Not counting when he goes through New Mexico we don't have many issue with the motor. All that said do realize that these are 15 year old vehicles at best. And don't listen to the Loyalists to other manufacturers, all our different engine have roughly the same reliability. But when you sell more of these engines then the other two combined every year, sure it looks like Fords are getting serviced more than the others. Get friendly with Cary at CT Performance here on the ORG. Buy something from him now and then and he will always answer the phone for you to walk you through something. Also get friendly with these websites:

Shop Manual

97-15A 7.3L DI Turbo Workshop Manual

[EDIT] damn it, caught me typing...

Last edited by BigFuel; 05-14-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.