Clutch Release Bearing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Clutch Release Bearing

I'm having some trouble with the clutch release bearing in a 94.5 PSD. The truck moves with the clutch depressed while starting, it grinds when going into gear, and makes a light squealing noise with the clutch depressed as soon as the transmission is put in gear. I have been experiencing a light clicking while the transmission is in gear for about the past 5 months, but I have only had severe trouble with the bearing starting today, after a 40 mile interstate drive. I had similar trouble with the bearing last summer, but after a few hundred miles it straightened out. Any suggestions, or will this require transmission removal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if u search call it a " throwout bearing "
and they slide on the output shaft so you need to at least get it that far back to R&R

not familiar with your application so not tips sorry
Old 05-11-2013, 03:47 PM

Are you sure the clutch is being released all the way? Bad master cylinder, slave cylinder, pedal?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:06 PM

Check you pedal assembly under the dash and make sure that the bushings on the pivot shaft aren't worn out. If you're also experiencing vibration in your brake pedal when coming to a stop, that's your problem.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 PM

Bushings are good, master cylinder is full, no signs of leakage. The clutch also works intermittently, and I have a sporadic heavy clutch pedal. I believe the bearing has spun in the fork. Hopefully it hasn't ruined it.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 AM

The fork is fairly cheap (only around $20 or so). I always replace it when replacing the throwout bearing. Do you still have the DMFW? I had a similar issue (weird noises, sporadic hard pedal) with my 94 which turned out to be the clutch disk (SBC Con-O SMFW) and the throwout bearing. One of those grenaded (couldn't tell which was the culprit) and too k out the other. Replaced both (newer disk design from SBC ... much better, and the fork too just in case) and all was good again. Cheers!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 AM

You need to measure fork movement to rule out the hydraulics/linkage. And of course, you have to do it when the clutch is misbehaving. Have someone work the pedal while you meaasure the movement at the tip of the fork. It should be at least 1/2" to 9/16". If it's less, something's wrong "upstream".
Old 05-15-2013, 10:23 AM

Well, I tore it down and noticed some pretty severe clutch damage. The rollers to the pilot bearing were laying in the bottom of the bellhousing, the throwout bearing came out in at least 4 pieces, and two of the springs were ripped out of the clutch disk itself. I ordered another that should be here tomorrow.

How important is it to have the flywheel turned? I always have in the past, but I noticed that there isn't any heat checking, and the flywheel only has around 60k on it from when it was new. I replaced it when swapping over from a DMF to the Valair setup.

How much input shaft play is okay? I can feel the shaft move, but I can't see that it's moving when I move it by hand. The fine folks at Valair seemed to think that it wasn't their fault that their pilot bearing blew up, but instead it was the result of a bad input shaft bearing in the transmission.

Regards,
Cole
Old 05-17-2013, 06:58 PM

I got the new clutch installed, and it runs and drives fine. However, when in neutral and at idle, there's a really loud bearing noise coming from the transmission (I'm tempted to believe input bearing). If you leave it in neutral, but rev the engine to around 1000 rpms, the bearing noise goes away. I overfilled the transmission by around a quart to get rid of the gear rollover, so I don't think this is rollover. With the clutch depressed, there's no noise whatsoever, and when driving you can only hear it in 3rd at less than 1500 rpms. Is this input bearing noise, or just rollover from the HD clutch?

Regards,
Cole
Old 05-18-2013, 03:12 PM

My rollover noise was more of a low growl when lugging around in say, 1st or 2nd gear. I never noticed anything in neutral (and that was on both the factory trans with 240k on it and a new remanufactured-by-ZF tranny. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.