Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Metal shavings on diff. plug, will my rear end grenade?

11K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Blazin8556 
#1 ·
So I had a leaky pinion seal on my 97 f250 and I replaced it. I pulled the plug to check my diff lube level and I found a lot of metal flakes/shavings on the diff. plug. I have a c-9 rear end according to the door jamb sticker, I think this means I have a limited slip, 3.55. I also think its obvious I have some wear going on, but to what? Should I look forward to replacing the ring and pinion, bearings the limited slip? The rear feels tight still, not a lot of slop or backlash going on, what will I likely have to replace? Input, sarcastic commentary, advice, what ever you got, its wanted. thanks.

#2 ·
I would take the diff cover off, drain it and strain it. See just how much metal is suspended in the fluid, and figure out what is grinding.

#3 ·
When was the last time the diff was serviced? Maybe the fluid has never been changed, if so some metal shavings would be normal but pulling the cover is to easy to not check.

#5 ·
It's normal to see some smaller stuff. When they get bigger, so do the problems.

#7 ·
I was thinking that it could be the limited slip too. The lube was pretty dark but not burnt smelling. I have thin flakes and of course the lube looked like it had glitter in it. If I determine the limited slip is wearing, I may go to a Detroit locker. I know there is a kabillion write up and opinions on a locker, but any input on using one on a f-250 is welcome. Well Ill yank the cover when I get the chance, till then Ill be working on the flat bed.

#10 · (Edited)
Well we all like pics so Ill post one for kix. Heres what Im dealing with. Ill pull the diff cover, take a look and snap a pic or 2 of the damage/wear. Stay tuned....

#13 ·
Pressure in the pumpkin??

I am having some oil leaking out of my rear diff. Not enough to drip but has covered my diff cover. I had just as much shavings on my plug as BNSue. Also when I opened the fill cap I released pressure. Was thinking of new cover and gasket maybe blow out vent hose if it has one.

Is there anything else I should replace while I have the cover off? Would you replace bearings or just replace what needs changed?

#14 ·
look around for damage. i pulled my cover off and didn't have what you guys are describing but i could tell some one had been inside before. look at the ring gear and the pinion gear. feel around in the bottom of the pumpkin and make sure you don't come up with alot of larger parts. look at the spiders inside the carrier. if your not sure what your looking for chances are you probably don't need to go any further than pulling the cover. if you pull this apart then you run the risk of shims being wrong and you probably opened a can of worms you werent ready for. some smaller stuff is ok. think of the plug as an open filter. if its never been opened then yeah your gonna see soem stuff. but nothing broken off or chipped.
also if you pull the plug and you "released pressure" you need to look at your vent line. if its anything like mine the line was broken and clogged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.