Straight Axle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Straight Axle

Ive been noticing that alot of people been switching over to the straight axle. What is the reason for this? Is it worth it. and if it is how much do they run and where can i get one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 02:23 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I think it is worth it. The twin beam suspension ford used in the OBS trucks. Is not that great of a set up. At least in my opinion it isn't.

As for finding the stuff to convert yours. A local junkyard should be a good place to start looking for the parts.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:28 PM

The TTB that came on OBS 250's eats tires like a fat girl eats cheetos! They are pretty strong but they ruin ground-clearance and wear out tires. If you can find a Dana 60 it would be a worth-while swap. A friend of mine did this swap and spent around $2500 after he bought the axle, rebuilt and installed it.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:31 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by willholl79 View Post
The TTB that came on OBS 250's eats tires like a fat girl eats cheetos! They are pretty strong but they ruin ground-clearance and wear out tires. If you can find a Dana 60 it would be a worth-while swap. A friend of mine did this swap and spent around $2500 after he bought the axle, rebuilt and installed it.

That is just wrong man. Yeah I am laughing but I dang near covered the monitor in pepsi.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:38 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I did this swap on an '88 I used to have. Just find a good Dana 60. It will be a lot easier if you can find one complete with brakes and hubs. It will bolt right in, no problem. If you decide to run a track bar, you will need a bracket that mounts to the frame cross member.

If you plan on lifting, this is a great idea.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:59 PM

is there a write up yet on how to do this? and all i have to do is get an axle off of a f350 and ill be good to go????
Old 02-23-2008, 04:06 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I don't know if there is a writ up on it, but it is a simple bolt in.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:15 PM

Well, I never had any issues with my TTB-50, to be honest. I did have a very good alignment shop align it, after I had to replace one ball joint, when I bought it. And I can tell you that my tires have worn perfect! The tires on there are about bald now, after 60-70,000 miles.

But, I am one who is going to do the swap. Actually, I will be doing it within the next few week(ends).

IMO, the cheapest starting point is to find you a complete F350 truck. That way you can rob any bracket that you need, and part out the rest. That is what I did, since I kept finding everyone wanted 'about' $1,000 for an axle, which still needed rebuilt. So I bought a whole truck for less than that.

Recently, and very slowly, I have been rebuilding my axle. There is still alot of cost in rebuilding one, to be quite honest, but I am replacing everything.......such as:

All ball joints (uppers and lowers),
U-joints (axle and driveshaft),
Inner seal (behind differential),
All oil seals (near knuckles),
All steering components (tie rod ends, drag link, etc.),
Axle lube (went with Royal Purple synthetic).

Last year I already installed new rotors, calipers, etc....so I will just swap mine over. So basically I will have a new axle, rebuilt.

But back to your question, I wanted to do the swap, because I might be adding a small lift in the future. But doing this will let the truck sit a bit higher, with all of the 350 stuff, since mine is sagging right now.

Are there write-ups....sort of. Lots of others have done the swap, and there are gobs of pictures out there.

Do your homework to what axle year you want. Some year axles use ball joints, while some use king pins. Whatever your preference is. But ask away, and I'd be glad to help!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:13 AM

Which one do you think would last longer hauling a 840 pound snow plow around for 5 months out of the year,,,king pins or ball joints..I'm gonna look around for a f350 with a junk motor or something because I also need leaf springs.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:56 AM

I'd say that will boil down to a personal preference. And I'm sure many more opnions will roll in...........but I had had many personal trucks, and plow trucks at work, with both style front ends.

For a swap, just whatever you can find. I "wanted" a newer style ball joint front axle simply for the fact that I recently sunk alot of money into new calipers, rotors, bearings, seals, etc....... But while doing an axle search, I was looking for an '86-'97. I would have settled for either, really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.