Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

gear swaping question

879 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  pitsingerk 
#1 ·
Has anyone here swapped the gears from a 3/4 ton rear to a 1 ton rear? I have a 3:55 geared rearend in a 94 F250 I'm parting out and I would like to swap them into the rear end in my 97 F350 which has 4:10. I have been told by a few people that the gears will work but I would like another opinion before I tear the truck down.

#2 ·
should be the same sterling axle, if so then you should be able to use everything from the donor axle. carrier,gears,shims, and bearings just replace the crush sleeve and retorque the pinion to specs, should be good to go. might wanna check the gear pattern and backlash but it should be close, the housings are machined really close in tolerance

#5 · (Edited)
I had the same situation a few years ago and I just swapped the entire axle. It was a direct bolt up and nothing had to be modified. Lots easier than paying someone to set up the ring and pinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.