Differential help needed after long tow - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Differential help needed after long tow

In the process of moving down south and just the other day took first trailer load down. 750 miles round trip. Truck did pretty well pulling 7k lbs. Trailer had a tire blowout which sucked but that's besides the point. Anyways pulled rear diff cover off this morning because cover had a leak and i have never taken a look in there since i bought the truck. I have attached some pics for you to check out. First thing is im 99% i have LSD because the clutch packs on each side of the spider gears. Correct me if im wrong. But the major thing i noticed was thin looking shim things popping out of each side on the outer side of the carrier bearing caps. Very easy to see in the pics. Can someone please give me advice on as to what these things are and also what i need to plan on doing to fix it. Have another 7k lbs. to tow down in 2 weeks. Should be plenty of time to tackle whatever job needs to be done. Went ahead so far and purchased 4 quarts of motorcraft 75-140 synthetic gear lube, 8 oz. of motorcraft friction modifier, and felpro cover gasket. Any help is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Differential help needed after long tow-diff.jpg   Differential help needed after long tow-clutch.jpg   Differential help needed after long tow-l-shim.jpg   Differential help needed after long tow-r-shim.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 PM

Sorry for the double post but i have been researching all day and found a little info. If you look at my bearing caps. You see the arrows pointing inward. Service info says the arrows must point outward. Also it seems as if the thin circles of metal sticking out of the shim locations are actual shims. How they slid out im not sure but maybe it has to do with the caps being on backwards.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:11 PM

someone used a cheapo install kit to work on that dif. and raped the shims trying to get carrier preload.
yukon master install kit uses a captured style shim that woud have prevented that ugliness.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:54 AM

I have been researching carrier preload. How is the carrier preload set? I do understand it seems as if someone when the cheap route when installing a gear set. I have not removed the caps yet but i can actually move the shims back and forth with my fingers. Im sure that should not be the case.

When you say captured style shim, is that a design that does not let them pop out?

I think i have an idea on how to repair this. Axles come out then remove caps and take out carrier then reinstall with new shims and get the carrier preload right then set the backlash to around .010 Please correct me if this sounds wrong.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:27 PM

this is a 'before' pic of mine when I installed the Grizzly locker.
looks like the arrows do point out.

the 'shims' from the factory are one piece. I guess they have an assortment and the assembler pics the correct ones to install.
the rest of us have to make a stack of shims.
this link should show a small pic of the Yukon shims and fancy holder for them. it sandwiches the thin ones between machined interlocking pieces

carrier preload is set by getting your backlash to spec, then adding equal shims on either side for final assembly. there is a spec on how much to add (Differentials book on page 259 states 12 thou for the fords as typical)
Differentials: Identification, Restoration & Repair: Jim Allen: 9781424326617: Amazon.com: Books Differentials: Identification, Restoration & Repair: Jim Allen: 9781424326617: Amazon.com: Books
Old 04-21-2013, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the pic. Yest. I removed the axles then removed caps and pulled carrier out. The shims that were sticking out were mangled and bent up. They did not even look like they were the right size to begin with. Tom. I need to order a shim kit. I was looking at the yukon and dts websites at super shims. On the left side of my carrier i had 5 shims. 2 medium and 3 very thin. On the right side i had 1 large shim and 1 thin. Hopefully i can minimize the amount of shims with a kit. Im sure the less number of shims the better. Still wondering how these new shims are designed to keep from backing out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.