looking for info to replace front hubs and bearings on my dually - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking for info to replace front hubs and bearings on my dually

havent been on here in a long time - looked around on youtube and a few other places quick but didnt find anything good. so any info would be a help.

at some point in my life, i want/need to replace the front hubs and bearings off my 2wd dually.. its a 95 reg cab, long bed, with auto trans and the twin beam front suspension. again - 2wd only. already replaced the front end a few years ago, the rotors have been warped since i bought the thing, and now the bearings are starting to hum so its yet another thing on the to do list.. i am not in any rush as i have another vehicle i use daily anyway, but i just want to make sure i get everything i need, and know whats invloved before i do anything.

does anone know if there is a write up or how to video floating around you can direct me to? i shall be forever greatful.. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
BANNED by Kris

Typhoon been a while! If memory serves, and the spindles and balljoints are still good, all you need is the hub (should have new races pre-installed) inner wiper seal, inner and outer bearings (have them greased if you don't know how to do it by hand), and a new cotter pin (****ers always break on me). Accessories to the job are new wheel studs, bearing cap, brake pads (really, are you going through all this NOT to replace these too?). Bearing locking ring (if it doesn't have a cotter pin it will have one of these) and spindle nut should be reusable.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
Typhoon been a while! If memory serves, and the spindles and balljoints are still good, all you need is the hub (should have new races pre-installed) inner wiper seal, inner and outer bearings (have them greased if you don't know how to do it by hand), and a new cotter pin (****ers always break on me). Accessories to the job are new wheel studs, bearing cap, brake pads (really, are you going through all this NOT to replace these too?). Bearing locking ring (if it doesn't have a cotter pin it will have one of these) and spindle nut should be reusable.
yea after my last month and half long, $3000 repair nightmare, - out of pure pity, my sister gave me her 05 honda crv. as much as i wish i hated the thing, it really is nice to drive something thats so smooth and quiet you dont even know its running.. funny how the list of to-do's for the dually keeps growing even though its barely used now.

anyway - i do plan on at least doing the pads. the dually hubs for this truck are not at all cheap, so hopefully it will turn out to be an easy parts swap when i finally get around to it. im guessing the spindle nut just gets snugged up?? thanks for the reply.. gonna start parts shopping soon so i can add to the pile of crap i still havent installed on this truck yet.. if the money is there later, id really like to put some new injectors in too.. time will tell.. thanks again .
Old 04-17-2013, 02:54 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Iirc local napa guy almost gave us 2wd rotors for a 93 dually and they have the hub combined
Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 PM
BANNED by Kris

Looking around to use Ford parts they are in the neighborhood of $120 each but there is a lot of metal and machining that make these things. There are different opinions on how to do it and only offer my opinion as advice and not the word from Yoda (Bill ):

1: Disassembly is pretty straight forward. Needle nose pliers for the cotter pin remove, correct socket (I want to say it's a 1 1/16" but I don't remember) and spin out spindle nut, pry out keyed washer, pry out outer bearing. With a quick tug pull on hub straight out (****ers heavy). IF you are planning to reuse anything then let stand on a piece of cardboard studs down. Pry out wiper seal and inner bearing. Clean inside of hub.

2: Otherwise, new hub pointing studs down wipe just a little bit of grease to coat the race, install inner bearing, take the wiper seal and around the friction edge where it mates to the hub wipe the smallest amount of gasket maker (like just enough to know it's there amount) and using a large enough socket or a piece of cut level wood tap the seal into the hub with the wiper facing the inside of the hub. Tap evenly or you can damage the seal.

3: Once it is seated take heavy grease and wipe the rubber part of the seal so it is nice and coated.

4: Turn back to the Spindle and wipe and clean all the old crap off of it. ID where the wiper seal rides on the spindle and apply a barely thin coat of grease to that surface. Carefully install the hub to the spindle.

5: Install the outer bearing. Install keyed washer and spindle nut. Spin the nut on until it stops.

6: Install tire with two nuts across from one another or three in a triangle. Just tight enough to keep the tire from wobbling.

7: Now the tricky part, with the correct socket on a breaker bar spin the wheel in the forward direction with a good pull. As the wheel is spinning bear hard into the spindle nut, the wheel should come to a sharp halt if you've done this right. DO NOT SPIN THE WHEEL AGAIN UNTIL FINISHED!!! Back the spindle nut off one whole turn. With your hand spin the nut back towards the bearing, stop when you have to use force to spin the nut further.

8: With the socket add a 1/8th turn more and install the cotter pin through the castle nut. If the tangs on the castle nut (aka spindle nut) don't line up with the hole back it off until it does.

9: Install cap.

Repeat other side and DONE!

Last edited by BigFuel; 04-17-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 PM

wow - thanks again for the write up.. someone should make that a sticky or post in a how to section as there is little info floating around for the 2wd dually hubs..

not sure why, but i had it on my head each hub was $200.. i know i had looked at prices a few years ago, and maybe that was for a premium set. i did go on rock auto after i posted and looked quick at prices. will have to stop at NAPA again and see what they want.. i actually do have one sitting around that was given to me from a mechanic at work, but id rather get 2 from the same manu just for piece of mind. and yea, they are VERY heavy. thanks for info..
Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 PM
BANNED by Kris

They are $225 if you walk into Ford but Napa and the like can get Bendixs (?) or off brand and search "AutoFair Ford parts" here on the ORG to see what he wants to ship them to you. There are Ford parts Internet sellers out there for the $125-ish price. I believe they are BRR-28 hubs.

Last edited by BigFuel; 04-17-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:22 PM

i walked into NAPA after work just to get a price on the total parts list so id be "mentally prepared" for whenever i get around to this.. the price they gave me on the rotors was $104 each.. i was like, really?? - so i bought both rotors while i was there so i can add them to the pile of crap i have at home waiting to go on the truck.. will get the bearings/seals/brake pads later.. was pretty happy with the price of the rotors though..
Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM
BANNED by Kris

Nice
Old 04-18-2013, 06:38 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That's good then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.