Repair Procedures - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 07:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Repair Procedures

Ok, I know I've seen them before but cannot find them tonight. Anyone remember where the writeup is for the procedure to replace the fuel pump
Thanks Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Hmm Mike I know there was some cleanup on some of the sections and it appears its gone I will see what I can find out
Old 02-08-2008, 07:20 PM

Thanks, I was hoping I wasn't going crazy.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Dieselmanns link:
Fuel filter housing removal, 97 and older:
To gain access to the HP oil pump, replace Injection Pressure Regulator valve or lift pump, or to service the filter housing, sometimes it's easiest to get the housing off of the engine. Removal is not that difficult except for the hoses.
Remove the intake Y-pipe and plug the openings into the heads. Open the water seperator drain to minimize the amount of fuel dumping into the engine valley. Loosen the hose clamps on the return line at the pressure regulator block, the primary (upper) lift pump hose at the filter housing, and the secondary (lower) lift pump hose at the lift pump. Remove the two head return lines at the pressure regulator block. Disconnect the harness connector at the RH side of the filter housing. Remove the two mounting bolts at the rear of the housing base. Lift up on the LH side of the housing to disengage the return line; pivot the housing forward to disengage the primary pump hose; pivot the housing back to disengage the secondary hose; and turn the housing clockwise to disengage the drain hose. Disconnect the IPR valve wire and remove the housing from the vehicle. Any o-rings or sensors on the housing can be serviced, and removal of the pressure regulator block for service/cleaning can now be done(the regulator can be removed with the housing installed on the vehicle, but with risk of o-ring damage on reassembly). Reverse the procedure for installation, taking care not to damage the hoses when their nipples are inserted in each. Do not over tighten the hose clamps or they will strip.

Lift pump removal:
This service is not difficult when working on a Federal-emissions F-series. The intake Y-pipe and fuel filter housing need to be removed first. Then, using an 1 1/4" box wrench (having two different wrenches works best because of differing angles on the box ends give you a wider working range) or socket on a flex-head ratchet, loosen the bango bolt fitting at the rear of the pump. Take care not to drop or damage the steel sealing washers. After removing the bango bolt, remove the pump mounting bolts and lift the pump straight out of its hole. If the pump seems stuck, use a rolling-head type pry bar (lady-slipper, duck bill, crowsfoot) to pry it up straight. Pulling staight up will prevent the pump push rod from catching and falling back down into the engine requiring engine removal to retrieve the rod. On California-emission vehicles the bango fitting is too far under the turbo and fuel line damper to reach with a wrench and access is restricted for using a socket (you may get the bolt out, but good luck getting the it back in). In this case and with the Econoline due to its body design, it is necessary to remove the turbocharger to remove the lift pump instead of the fuel filter housing. In all cases, when instaling the new lift pump, lube the o-ring on the pump shank with dielectric grease and start the bango bolt a couple of threads before installing a tightening the mounting bolts. Again, take care not to damage the sealing washers. Once the pump is secured to the block, tighten the bango bolt to 40 ft/lbs.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 PM

Thanks Rick but if I have to get into all that I'll probably take it somewhere. I hope the fuel pump is not that intense. Mike
Old 02-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Good deal looks like your all set
Old 02-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

Mike it's really not that bad even though it sounds like a lot. I did this for the first time recently and although it was a PITA i got through in a few hours with some guidance from Scuffy over the phone. Another member is putting a new fuel pump in tomorrow for the first time too. If you have any questions just ask.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g View Post
Thanks Rick but if I have to get into all that I'll probably take it somewhere. I hope the fuel pump is not that intense. Mike
if its not a cali emmissions truck.....then it really isnt that big of a deal...just follow those instructions and you will be fine...it looks more intimidating that it actually is...

if its a cali emmissions truck...then id reccomend taking it in based on your comments. You can tell if its a cali emmissions truck by looking right behind the fuel pump. If there is no round....."spaceship" looking thing thats about four inches in diameter at the back of the fuel pump under hte turbo...then its not a cali emissions truck...
Old 02-08-2008, 08:20 PM

Thanks for all the input. If I run into trouble I'll post a HELP thread. Thanks Mike
Old 02-18-2008, 03:15 PM

Fuel Pumps In

All right with a little help the new fuel pump is in with new fuel lines. Special thanks to SMKSTAK for his repair proceedures and to vitalidle for his continued support. One thing we did while the filter housing and new pump were out was connect the new bottom and top left fuel lines. We then placed them back in the valley together. Also did the FPR bb mod and have better throtle response.
Gotta love the org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.