e4od to zf5 swap intrest in writeup?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
e4od to zf5 swap intrest in writeup??

So i had a neighbor from down the road approch me today and asked if i was intrested in swapping trannys and all related components with him. i of coarse said yes cause i want a 5 spd in my crew. i was just wondering if there is any intrest in a writeup of the project. also if anyone has any tips to share id appreciate it. im a diesel wrench by trade so this will be a pretty simple swap for me but i might have a few questions along the way. i figure if i can do this on clasd 8 rigs a pickup should b a breeze. His trucks identical to mine 97 cclb psd 4x4. one thing im not sure of is ds lenghts. same or different? thanks for any input! Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
drive shaft lengths will be different, but must be nice he wants to trade ya all of it straight up, wish that would happen to me, and yes, I would be interested in a write up
Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 PM

Im pretty excited about the whole deal i guess he is doing a cummins swap and would rather have a auto which is beyond me but whatever floats his boat.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If i were you i would jump on that pronto. Who swaps there 5 speed for an automatic??? honestly lol.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You will need to swap drive shafts as well. Different lengths on the E4OD vs the ZF. Somewhere there is a list of parts required for the swap. PCM is a must, along with the trans harness. I will be doing the swap as well in a few weeks hopefully.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

One often-overlooked detail in this swap, when it's 4x4, is the connecting bar/rod between the t-case shifter and the link on the case. It's waaay shorter in the manual trucks.

Um, he's gonna try to drop in a Cummins with an E4OD behind it? WTF is he gonna use to control either/both? I don't know jack about the Fummins world, but just intuitively, I would presume it would have to have either a manual tranny behind it, or whatever automatic (Allison?) usually sits behind a Cummins.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Allison is still electronic, he would need a stand alone trans controller
Old 04-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
One often-overlooked detail in this swap, when it's 4x4, is the connecting bar/rod between the t-case shifter and the link on the case. It's waaay shorter in the manual trucks.

Um, he's gonna try to drop in a Cummins with an E4OD behind it? WTF is he gonna use to control either/both? I don't know jack about the Fummins world, but just intuitively, I would presume it would have to have either a manual tranny behind it, or whatever automatic (Allison?) usually sits behind a Cummins.
If he is swapping a 12v the pcm will still control trans.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 AM

I dont know his plans i didnt ask was more in shock that someone would want to actually do a trade like that. he is a nice guy and all but not someone i really care to spend much time with. lol im pretty sure its a early first gen non intercooled 12v he has just from glancing at it in his garage. its beyond me why he wants a e4od behind it but im sure ad hell not gonna argue with him at all on the subject as to risk changing his mind!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97dieselstroke View Post
So i had a neighbor from down the road approch me today and asked if i was intrested in swapping trannys and all related components with him. i of coarse said yes cause i want a 5 spd in my crew. i was just wondering if there is any intrest in a writeup of the project. also if anyone has any tips to share id appreciate it. im a diesel wrench by trade so this will be a pretty simple swap for me but i might have a few questions along the way. i figure if i can do this on clasd 8 rigs a pickup should b a breeze. His trucks identical to mine 97 cclb psd 4x4. one thing im not sure of is ds lenghts. same or different? thanks for any input! Derek
I went from auto to Zf5 on my truck, but I had a donor truck and got the power stroke motor and all the wiring harness . My truck was a Factory IDI turbo truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.