Power steering (pictures included) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power steering (pictures included)

I noticed to today a leak coming from my truck while talking trucks with my buddy who has a 6.0.

The leak was on the passenger side and it seemed to be clear fluid, I am pretty sure it was Power steering fluid. I checked my power steering reservoir and it wasn't even registering on the dipstick. Also, the hose that goes into the reservoir has some play. I can push the metal end in to the flared part, and then pull it out about a quarter inch. I have included pictures of how much play there is. There seems to be fluid all over the area, and it is hard to pin point, so If the amount of play in that hose is too much, I am think that should be the culprit.

I also searched general, motor problems, and 7.3 tech files prior to starting this thread and found very little on power steering leak diagnosis.

First picture is with the hose fitting pushed in

The second is with it pulled out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

I know with thoes types of fittings u should be able to spin the metal line whilte the fitting is tight as their is an o-ring inside that does the sealing. I dont think u whould be able to pull in and out on it tho. I think your o-ring is gone. Keep in mind if u ran the pump dry it may also be no good now also as they dont like being run dry.

I have a good supply line off my truck u can have for shipping if u want one. LMK!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:47 PM

I'd like to see if someone elses truck has similar in and out movement before I decide on changing it. I know a lot of people say to put ATF in the reservoir, but the fluid is clear/brown, so maybe my truck (only had it 10k miles) was last filled with PSF?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You parked next to a 6.0 and yours was leaking?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM

I know, it was embarrassing! I am gonna buy the hose and replace it on thursday or friday.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My PS hose blew right out as I was parking, the swedge or flare failed. Took about 30 minutes to change in the hotel parking lot.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 PM

Good to know it was that quick. I will probably try to replace it tomorrow, provided the replacement part is in stock at my local parts store.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 AM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozinag View Post
I'd like to see if someone elses truck has similar in and out movement before I decide on changing it. I know a lot of people say to put ATF in the reservoir, but the fluid is clear/brown, so maybe my truck (only had it 10k miles) was last filled with PSF?
u need a new hose.....and the pump specs out ATF. dont use power steering fluid when u re fill. i would also flush out the system with atf
Old 04-10-2013, 05:02 PM

Ok, thanks for the help fellas, and in particular from John (97beast). It actually wasn't the o-ring on the low side it was the white plastic o ring on the top fitting. The guy showed me a hydroboost and a normal hose in o'reilly's and I just grabbed the Non-hydroboost hose, only to figure out that it had the flared end, not the o-ring. Had to go back and get the right one. Had I bought the right hose it would have been a 10 minute swap.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 AM

Did that fix your leak? Mine is leaking and I am pretty sure it is leaking in the same spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.