Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Going from a '97 Cali MME2 to a '96 Federal NAW4

15K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  dieselkidd 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to thank Cary at CT Performance for helping me with this swap and to Patrick Feeley for helping make some corrections to the pinning. [EDIT: Confirmed this works for manuals too. Also, this swap is looking like it is only working to go to DPC-202 code Federal PCMs LKM/MIF/NAW/PRE/PRY/TDE/TEE/ZAA are all DPC-202 code PCMs]

Ok, for some of us with the '97 split shot trucks we know how hard it can be to find replacement PCMs and how some tuners have said that they will either not tune for the '97 Cali with singles or the tunes are too limited and you want more out of the singles that you have installed. This swap is for you as the freedom of this swap will run any size singles in your '97 Cali with or without a chip. So here we go:

The goal is to go from this to this:

Here are all the tools needed for the swap:
1. 7/64 drill bit (note the elec. tape near the tip and over the flutes. This is to keep the bit from side biting into the other nearby wires and to help with depth control), 2. 10mm deep socket and 1/4" drive ratchet, 3. 1/2" deep socket and 3/8" drive ratchet, 4. thin pin tool (or flathead screwdriver for glasses), 5. straight Pick

The pins that are moving (these pin movements are good movements for a '97 2WD AUTO Cali PCM code MME2 to a '96 Federal AUTO PCM code NAW4 (any). This does not account for 4x4s and Manual trans trucks as I don't have one to try this on. I have confirmed these movements to be good as I have been driving on this swap for several days now at the time of this posting):

Pin 11 to pin 1 (drill)
Pin 5 to pin 4 (let it hang for the moment)
Pin 10 to pin 5
Pin 4 to pin 10
Pin 6 to pin 27 (drill)
Pin 54 to pin 28 (drill)
Pin 88 to pin 34 (tape off pin 34 as it is not used on the '96 Federal)
Pin 21 to pin 49 (drill)
Pin 19 to pin 50 (drill)
Pin 20 to pin 53 (drill)
Pin 80 to pin 70 (drill)
Pin 12 to pin 79 (drill)
Pin 70 to pin 80 (drill)
Pin 63 to pin 84 (drill)

Also remove and tape off pins 8 and 9 as they are also not needed with the '96 Federal PCM. These wires, along with 34, are used to monitor the GPR in the '97 Cali's but the older PCMs do not monitor this. Tape them off in case you want them for later.

With the 104 harness connector removed from the PCM start by removing the dark grey plastic shield off the wire side of the connector. Then flip it over and pry up this red retention plate from the middle of the plate using either the pin tool or the pick (green arrow). Sometimes these snap retainers (white arrows) hold the plate on but not in my case. Just use the pin tool to lift the plate in conjunction with the pick to upset the snap retainer. This indexing cap does not need to be removed for this swap (red arrow).

The grey cap left undisturbed from the last step has the pin locations stamped into it. This is where you will look and count over from for pin locations.

Now to get to the meat of the swap, these are the pin retainers (red circle). Using the thin pin tool place the flat edge against the pin to be removed and hold it at 5-10* off the pin. As you slide the tool down the pin, and with a tiniest amount of pressure you will feel the tool go between the pin retainer and pin. Rotate the tools handle to be parallel with the direction of the pin and this will further lift the retainer off the pin. Holding all this with one hand insert the pick into the top of the pin and gently push into the connector.

When done correctly the pin will look like this:

This is the pin out of the connector and note how the retention clip grabs the pins "shoulder" (green arrow).

So now you have the [URL=http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 1[/URL] pin out and you need to get it into the #1 pin hole. Carefully drill through the back indexing cover (you just need to get through the cover, do not ream the drill bit all the way in as it can cut off the tooth that holds the pin into place) and insert the pin into place. Continue with the rest of the pins and with the connector back together it'll look something like this. Note the loose taped wires and I marked them with their original pin locations.

Moving to the PCM (and written for those that have not removed the PCM before) remove the upper and lower 10mm nuts and remove the PCM retainer/weather shield. Some people suggest dropping the wheel well to get the PCM out but I'm too lazy for that and I just shove a long bar into the well straight down. Vuala', PCM slides out. Note the indexing that the PCM came out and install the '96 PCM back in in the same direction. Otherwize you will have a tough time getting the harness connector back on the PCM (red arrows point to harness indexes). With the PCM out before installation, now is a good time to clean the contacts for a chip. Lightly sweep the contacts on BOTH sides of the board with an emery cloth and wipe with alcohol. PCM goes in like it came out.

For those that have asked "how do I run the wire from the chip to the selector knob" this is what I have done. Remove the three 1/2" nuts that retain the parking brake to the inner-fender, install 4 (12 total) 7/16" (I think) washers per nut onto the studs. This gives you plenty of room for the wire to pass by the Parking brake pedal without pinching the wire at all.

All told this swap took 3 hours but I was taking pictures during and sometimes having to go back and pull it apart to get a better picture. Cary suggests 1.5 hours for completion. I hope this helps our Cali members out there to move from our limited PCMs to the much easier to find and better performing '96 PCMs.

See less See more
#2 ·
Please let me know if you would like better clarifications (that I will then add to the first post) or pictures. Hope the reading goes well.

#3 ·
The pins no longer being used, what did they originally do?

#4 ·
They monitored the GPR. Feeley on another forum suggested that the shunt on our '97 GPR would need to be removed or the WTS light would function oddly but this hasn't happened to me....yet.

#5 ·
It migjht have been someone else that mentioned that (I don't remember mentioning that anyway). The good thing is you CAN get rid of the shunt (it just gets in the way anyway). Cheers!

#6 ·
Sorry Patrick, I didn't mean to accuse you of anything (I lost page on the Nation so I'm not sure that it was you or not, also why I wanted to make a step by step for this as I have wanted to do this for a long time and haven't found much of anything on doing it), just mentioning that you are a pretty careful guy and it seemed correct in my mind as I wrote this that it could have been something that you warned about.

#7 ·
Great write up Matt. This should be stickied. (We should really have our own OBS tech section.)

#8 ·
No worries, Matt! I wasn't feeling accused at all. I couldn't remember what I posted over there (I may have to go back and see ... I'm probably starting to get the dreaded CRS Syndrome :D ). Cheers!

#9 ·
Thanks Bill, a stickie would be great but we '97 Cali's are a pretty small bunch. I've been looking for something like this for a looooooong while and with collecting info and talking to guys like Cary I've got it done. Guess it's up to the Admins...

#13 ·
You would still need to re-pin the connector for the different PCM (Federal will be DPC-202 and Cali will be DPC-312, assuming an automatic trans) and it probably won't run the splitshot injectors correctly. Cheers!

#15 · (Edited)
I've heard form several people that installing a Auto PCM into a Manual truck was perfectly fine with no adjustments or "extra" pinning. Finding a NAW4 would slightly open your tuning options up over the '97 Federal or MME PCM. Still, swapping at all will allow you to essentially run any Federal PCM.

I have run my truck with and without my chip with no side effects (besides the loss of power by not having the proper tuning for 160/100's). One year down and no issues with the swap. I L-O-V-E having singles and getting rid of the Cali PCM.

Cali MME2 PCM is for sale though...for a bar of gold...

#16 ·
why are the cali pcms worth so much? just curious

and from the sounds of it it should just be a straight plug in with the federal pcm i already have it i got a parts truck pretty much free. guy ran it down the freeway at 75 after overdrive went out and threw a rod haha his loss my gain

#17 ·
They only made the PCMs for a year and only the Cali trucks got them. Also, Cali trucks have started to make their ways across the country as we don't have snow/salt issues and other states desire these trucks. For them to pop a PCM and then realize they can't get one is a shot in the foot. With our trucks getting older and older these PCMs are super rare.

#20 · (Edited)
Erasing a computer is not the same as melting a PCM. Most PCM failures are popped boards due to poor charging systems and poor mating with chips. Happens a lot on here. Also DP Tuner can flash or update any PCM to whatever code you want withing the restrictions of the PCM.

Sure you can put Ford Cali tunes on a Cali PCM but you cannot put them on a federal PCM as the pins and internals are different. The PCMs are physically different and not straight swap-able. Thus if you need a Cali PCM (because you melted your PCM) you have to buy only a Cali PCM. This write-up is to circumvent having to pay tons of money on something that you will probably burn up again, to switch to better performing single shot injectors, and to allow you to get back up and running as easily as possible without all the hunting. Online PCM store always say they have one in stock but usually never do.

#21 ·
well i gave autozone my cali pcm as a core and they ordered me a different one but that dont really matter.

the original reason i posted on this forum is because i have a 97 cali powerstroke i removed the split shot injectors and installed singleshot injectors

yes the truck runs funny with the singles. soon i will have a 97 federal powerestroke pcm do i need to repin or is it a straight swap :dunno: from what i understand its a straight swap. my truck is 4x4 stick shift the other is a 4x4 automatic sorry for repeating the same question over and over

#22 ·
It is not a straight swap if it originally was a Cali 1997 with splitshots. Two totally different PCM and pinouts. You will need to repin the PCM connector. Cheers!

#25 ·
Can't say for sure on the pinout for the 97 Cali manual (JKA series code??) since I wasn't investigating that scenario. The ALF6 should be a 96 49-state manual. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.