I need help with batteries/Alternator - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need help with batteries/Alternator

Ok, so I just had two new batteries installed in my 97. (I wasn't about to mess around with my truck in -10 degree weather.) And on my way home from a 6 hour trip my battery light came on and my battery gauge was dipping to almost nothing. Before I knew it I had no lights or anit-lock brakes. I pulled over to check the battery connections. Sure enough my passenger side battery terminals were loose.

I tightened them up and jump started the truck. I then took it straight to my grandparents house thankfully 10 minutes away and charged the battery. Well, after it was charged I made it about 20 minutes before the same thing happened. This time I installed one new battery into the passenger side. This allowed me to continue for 2 hours towards home. I got home, but now my battery light is on again, and it's only a matter of time.

So, now the questions:

1. Should I start completely new and put in two new batteries that are for sure good? Would having my passenger side battery charged and my drivers side one dead give me the result I got. (few hours of driving but eventually dead.)

2. Or, should I expect that my Alternator is shot and replace it. Would Autozone be able to check my alternator without pulling it out and without two fully charged batteries?

3. Is there some other electrical problem that is messing up my truck?

Sorry this is so long, but there is no way to tell you smart guys everything in just a few words. All suggestions will be much appreciated

Thanks Guys!!! -Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post

Sorry this is so long, but there is no way to tell you smart guys everything in just a few words. All suggestions will be much appreciated
I'm not one of them but it'll be a start for you anyway
Old 02-04-2008, 11:06 PM
allergic to hot weather

oops lost most of post but gimme a min and ill start over
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
allergic to hot weather

Quote:

1. Should I start completely new and put in two new batteries that are for sure good? Would having my passenger side battery charged and my drivers side one dead give me the result I got. (few hours of driving but eventually dead.)
charge batteries up then do a load test on them both. disconnect the neg terminal from both. if you dont have a load tester Autozone should have one there. after batts are charged go to them while saving power ( turn off all unnecessary electronics lights radio ect) don't replace good parts do diag first.

Quote:

2. Or, should I expect that my Alternator is shot and replace it. Would Autozone be able to check my alternator without pulling it out and without two fully charged batteries?
Autozone should be able to test in truck ( mine does) but you can ck at home with a voltmeter (I will look for a link to post with these instructions if you are interested)

Quote:

3. Is there some other electrical problem that is messing up my truck?
start by checking the alternator then if that is good look for other problems dont just throw $$$ at it till you do some basic diag. sorry for the goofed first post but I musta erased all this the first time.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 PM

Ok sweet. Thanks for the fast reply. First thing tomorrow I'm going to make sure I have two perfect batteries. This is a joke that I have to worry about this because I just bought two new ones. Maybe, i'll take them both in and use the warranty for two brand new one just to be sure

Once I know the batteries are both good and tightly secured I'll see if they stay charged, if not I think i can safely assume the alternator is out
Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 PM
COLLEGE KID

Send a message via AIM to lifewitlooie
I say alternator is gone. if u didnt see ur batteries getting charged while u were driving.. its alternator
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 AM

My 2 cents. My owners guide says you can charge one battery but if one dies you have to replace both. Don`t know why.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:58 PM

UPDATE:

I just put in two brand new batteries and checked all terminals. The truck starts but the battery light stays on. Also, the battery meter is on the N on normal. (Which is very low, however this is were it drops when the glow plugs are one....this time it just never pops back to normal.)

SO, I'm pretty sure my alternator is out unless someone can suggest something else like a relay that could cause the battery light to always be on and the gauge to read low with brand new batterie. Ideas?? Suggestions?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.