few Q's on OBS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
few Q's on OBS

I need to know if the pcm comes out of the obs trucks same as the 99 and up. I started a thread a little while ago about my friends 96 F250 and him wanting a chip and I am goin to be getting one from Tony for him with in the next few weeks.. He wants me to install it for him as he isnt mechanical at all .. I havent done much with the obs diesels and just wondered if it would be the same as installing it in my 99 ??is it in the same spot and what needs to be removed to get it out? does the wildman chip just piggie back the pcm like in my 99 ?

Thanks for the info it will make it easier knowing what im getting into
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 08:54 PM
a truck

The pcm on the obs trucks is located behind the emergency brake pedal assembly so in order to get to it you just remove 3 13mm nuts and pull the assembly off. When I installed my ts chip I didnt have to remove the pcm cause it wasnt possible I was able to just pull off the little black cover on the pcm, clean the connection and plug the chip right in. Its pretty easy and there is no need to remove the pcm completely
Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD0389 View Post
The pcm on the obs trucks is located behind the emergency brake pedal assembly so in order to get to it you just remove 3 13mm nuts and pull the assembly off. When I installed my ts chip I didnt have to remove the pcm cause it wasnt possible I was able to just pull off the little black cover on the pcm, clean the connection and plug the chip right in. Its pretty easy and there is no need to remove the pcm completely
Thank you Sir !!! thats the answer I was looking for

and dang I got it quick!! in my 99 it had to come right out cause its in a case/cage
Old 02-04-2008, 09:01 PM
a truck

No problem man happy to help just make sure you get that connection really clean with some type of electrical connection cleaner otherwise the check engine light may come on at times when you turn the key and it wont start so you have to try a couple times cause the connection is dirty so make sure you clean it good!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 PM

when i did mine i used a scotch brite pad and some electrical contact cleaner.. ill likely use the same there will be a coating on the contacts like my 99 had i would assume
Old 02-04-2008, 09:06 PM
a truck

yeah thats exactly what I used that will do the trick
Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 PM

Thanks again !!

once I get it installed Ill have to try it out and maybe get a burn out or 2 on video ... after all it isnt my tires
Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 PM
a truck

Anytime

Its always more fun burn down someone elses tires and believe me he should be able to burn those pretty well with that chip
Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 PM

ok Jim told me he had a banks chip in this truck before.. now im kinda disturbed.. he said the shop that installed it went through the wheel well liner to install it...they also installed a pyro and boost gauge at the same time, he said his egts never got over 800 even pulling his big 4 bed with 4 sleds on it... I was corrected today his truck is a 1995 not a 1996...not that I think that makes any difference..but why would they need to drop the wheel well liner to acess the pcm to install the chip???

on another note the banks chip fried and cooked the tranny too thats why he has not had a chip since .. untill I took him for a ride in mine with tonys tunes ... now he wants one really bad
Old 02-06-2008, 07:52 PM
a truck

The only reason I would think his egts never get over 800 is that the probe for the egt guage was installed post turbo in the downpipe and because of that the egt reading is actually 300-400 degress less than what it really is.

As far as the wheel well liner I have no idea why they said that but believe me I didnt go anywhere near the well liner to install the chip that makes no sense the only thing that you need to do is on the firewall in the engine compartment near the drivers side rear well you will want to disconnect the pcm wiring harness when installing the chip and then reinstall it once you have the chip in to prevent any surges or anything else from going wrong.

But you only have to do what I mentioned earlier when installing the chip plus banks is cheap crap that is overpriced but believe me I have a 95 and all I did to install my chip was remove the emergency brake pedal assembly to get to the connection for the chip on the pcm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.