How many mileage is to much? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much mileage is to much?

Hey my first post and I have a question. When looking for a trk what mileage is considered to much. I am looking at a 97 f350 crew cab xlt 5spd manual transmission with a new clutch, a psd with 187000 miles on it. The trk is in great shape inside and out only needing tires. The asking price is $8500 but he said thats negotiable. I really like the trk and I know diesels when taken care off last almost forever but I have never bought a vehicle with that many miles or a diesel.

Last edited by badazz74; 02-03-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

300k is my opinion, unless you know who it's coming from.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
The main issue is how well was it maintained? Oil and Air filter changes and such. A well maintained truck can go many miles.

Jim
Old 02-02-2008, 06:26 PM

i bought a 97 F250 PSD w/ 238,000 miles on it and i paid 8400 for it. mine has more power than my bro-in-laws 96 F 350, his just turned 200,000. i get around 16 mpg prolly better if i kept my foot out of it. it was a one owner truck and it just had tranny rebuild last year
Old 02-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys that puts my mind at ease, I will go talk to him again with maintenance questions. $8500 doesn't seem like a bad price since most I seen ask for at least $10k - $16k some with even more miles.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I bought mine with 130,000 on it and the engine was already dusted but I didn’t know anything about Powerstrokes or the crappy factory intakes. I got 216,000 on it now with about 10,000 on the motor. A guy here at work bought a 99.5 with over 600,000 on it and is still driving it. In my opinion mileage is not near as important as looking it over real well for all the known issues and good maintenance. A new engine can cost more than your paying for the whole truck.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to John_DeereGreen Send a message via Yahoo to John_DeereGreen
Comes down to maintenance. If it's been well maintained and is in good cosmetic shape, go for it. I bought the truck in my sig in November from a good friend; it's got 191K on it now, had 187K on it when I bought it, and I would buy another in a heartbeat. I've got all the service records from day 1, and he did almost all of the service himself. He's a Ford Tech at our local dealership, so if he tells me something about these trucks, I listen up!!

Go for it if you've got most or all of the service records, or know the person that's selling it and can trust them.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to 98TurboVan
I bought mine with 175,000 miles on it for $6500. When I got it the van would sometimes cut off. Had a failing CPS sensor which is known to go bad in these motors. But I got the part from ford for $25 and took me 10 min to fix and the truck runs perfect now. IT was very well maintained had a log book that was kept with all the maintenace since it had 3 miles on it.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Yall just don’t forget that all the maintenance in the world won’t help an engine that got dusted from a faulty factory air intake. I know, it cost me $4,000 doing all of the work myself and I was quoted anywhere from $10,000-$12,000 to have it done. Always visually check the intake and turbo impeller for signs of dusting before buying a Powerstroke.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You have a picture of a dusted turbo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.