Fuel Pressure Regulator - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 08:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Frank 93L
Fuel Pressure Regulator

I'm trying to remove the fuel pressure regulator from the HPOP. I disconnected the electrical connector, removed the thin nut, and removed the sleeve. Now how in the world does the regulator come out?! It won't slide out and there's no way to turn it out if it's threaded. Please help! The truck is down til I get this done and it's a tow truck so it needs to be up ASAP!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Nuckin' Futz

well if its what im thinking of (the IPR) then you still have one more nut to go. The regulator threads into the hpop using a (and don't quote me on this) 22mm or better yet the standard equivelant...cant remember what it is. When i changed mine i had to drill out the socket too because the regulator shaft was too long. See if that helps you
Old 02-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Nuckin' Futz

oh geez im sorry i guess you knew that it was threaded in there. Well yeah you gotta get a deep socket and will most likely have to drill it out in the bottom so that the shaft will slip into it. Then you have to make a tool with the socket. Ratchets wont fit in there (a. because there isn't room and B. because the boss on the ratchet wont allow the shaft of the regulator to seat deep enough into the socket) so what you'll have to do is weld a piece of flat steel to the back of the socket...make sure you round the edges of the flats steel so they aren't sticking out of the sides of the socket. That should do the trick i think. here is the site i used you don't have to do the rebuild part but it shows you the tool and every thing.

New Page 0
Old 02-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Well I guess that's where my problem is. I do not see where a socket goes! It looks to me like once I pulled that sleeve off there's no where to put a socket! I stuck a mirror down in there and looked at the back side of the regulator facing towards the front of the truck, and I sure don't see any six sided ANYTHING (referring to the large center section of the regulator) that a socket can grip onto.

Whole reason I'm doing this is because when I reach approximately 2300 rpms in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear (not under much load), the truck stumbles out and puffs white smoke. I've been told cleaning the FPR can solve this. Alldata steered me completely in the wrong direction though. On a 96 it says that this IPR is the fuel pressure regulator, then for a 97 it shows me where it really is up next to the fuel filter / water seperator. The instrustions for cleaning the "real" FPR are very vague at best. So would you happen to know how to clean the FPR? It says to remove the access bolt, spring, and spool valve (which I have no idea what that is), then it basically just says "clean thoroughly."

Wtf?? Clean what thoroughly? Just clean inside the hole where the spring was?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:34 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Theres a place for it. its just deep back in there!

ok, heres the fix:

Go to lowes and get a Kolbalt 1/2 inch drive deep socket that 1 1/8" It will slide over the nut and its even long enough for you to use a rachet! I replaced mine not too long ago and did it in like 10 minutes. Very easy to do. be sure to tighten it pretty good. just dont over tighten it.

Let me know how this helps man
Old 02-01-2008, 05:39 PM

Thanks. I just put it all back together for now. I'm gonna try that Monday though, unless y'all don't think that will help my problem. I only work on gas engines and I'm starting to think it needs to stay that way. lol
Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

nah. diesels are just a bit different though. Stay on here and you will figure them out. I didnt know much about them when I first was on here back in October 07, but I would actually be ok enough to do injectors or a turbo swap on mine for the most part by myself now. All with the help of this site. Lots of people willing to help, and TONS of information to share. Thats what I love about this site. One day, you will be giving info too instead of asking for it. I know I was the same way as you.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsracinggt View Post
nah. diesels are just a bit different though. Stay on here and you will figure them out. I didnt know much about them when I first was on here back in October 07, but I would actually be ok enough to do injectors or a turbo swap on mine for the most part by myself now. All with the help of this site. Lots of people willing to help, and TONS of information to share. Thats what I love about this site. One day, you will be giving info too instead of asking for it. I know I was the same way as you.
Yeah there's alot to learn. I give help when I can, anything that isn't powerstroke specific. like brakes or what not. So what do you think bout my stumbling problem?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:05 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I would try the IPR, you can clean it, I know the new ones are 200 bux. See if it helps. I am not to sure if that doesnt fix ur problem. I am having problems with mine now too. Stuff that no one can really pin point what is wrong. I am sure if you put it in another forum, like the 911 emergency forum, someone can help you pretty quick. good luck man.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 PM

What problems are you having?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.