96 ambulance 7.3 sitting 4 years. What now? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 ambulance 7.3 sitting 4 years. What now?

Hello all. I've been lurking and learning for awhile about my 02 psd and I appreciate all the info and knowledge base here. I've got it coming along nicely.

Today I couldn't pass up the opportunity to purchase a 96 model 1 ton dually ford 7.3 powerstroke ambulance. It has been started once in the last 4 years and it idled very roughly and blew lots of white smoke but ran great when it was first parked. My question is what do you all recommend going over and checking or doing before actually trying to start this thing now? I know it will need 2 new batteries cause I couldn't get it to do anything earlier. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jarrett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would imagine it ran rough and smoked from the injectors sitting for that long and sticking some.
Check all the oil levels pan and hpop and look for any obvious wiring issues, pull the fuel filter and drain the crap thats probably in there and fill it with fresh fuel or powerservice
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

definitely some fresh fuel, i would change the oil if you can. As fordman said check for wiring issues and you should be okay.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd replace all fluids and filters, and go from there. Depending on far you wanna go, replace the rubber fuel lines under the fuel bowl as well as they are probably cracked/leak. And if at all possible, drain all the fuel in the tank(s).
Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Full A-Team Member

Wait, yes I maybe misunderstood, you already own it??? Then definately yes start with fresh oil
Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How many miles are on it? sounds like a score. What are the future plans for the truck?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 PM

Thanks guys. Any easy way to drain the tank? I've not crawled under the thing yet to see how the tank is oriented.

New oil
New diesel
New filters
New lines under the fuel bowl
Check all wiring and fuses

Any injector cleaner or sea foam in the fuel filter housing to help clean the injectors?

Yes...as of this afternoon I own it. It belonged to a company I use to work for and we used it as an electrical truck on our commercial jobs. So it is still full of electrical supplies so that's first on the list to clean out. Company ran out of work so they have been downsizing. Picked the ambulance up for $500.

Thanks,

Jarrett
Old 03-31-2013, 07:49 PM

Less than 100k if I remember correctly. Haven't looked since I quit em 4yrs ago but it hasn't moved since.

Not sure on plans yet...would make a sweet bug out ride but I don't have the fundage to get into the whole zombie apocalypse thing. Prob will make a great work truck for my paint crew.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmiller02 View Post
Thanks guys. Any easy way to drain the tank? I've not crawled under the thing yet to see how the tank is oriented.

New oil
New diesel
New filters
New lines under the fuel bowl
Check all wiring and fuses

Any injector cleaner or sea foam in the fuel filter housing to help clean the injectors?

Yes...as of this afternoon I own it. It belonged to a company I use to work for and we used it as an electrical truck on our commercial jobs. So it is still full of electrical supplies so that's first on the list to clean out. Company ran out of work so they have been downsizing. Picked the ambulance up for $500.

Thanks,

Jarrett
Damn for 500 you got a great deal! Nice!

Tom
Old 04-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Really can't beat that kind of score , I agree tho, fluids and filters, check uvch, and batteries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.