Coolant in the valley! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant in the valley!

So i have been chasing a Coolant leak, I suspected the water pump, or hoses, worst case i was afraid of it being the oil cooler. Yesterday i washed the engine and let it sit. Today I put on the pressure tester and watched it drip down under the front of the engine on the drivers side. As i traced the leak upwards i found it was coming around the HPOP cover and there was coolant in the valley.

A couple things i know
- There is no coolant in the oil
- It is a slow leak under normal operations
- The engine does not have 25K miles on a re-build, a bad plug of some sort? freeze or otherwise
- This truck has never been a daily driver, and gets occasional use for hunting and fishing and such
- The rig is a 94.5 with the manual tranny

So my question, has anyone had similar issues? Is it possible that the i have a leak in the timing cover? Any help would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've never really heard of coolant in the valley before. How much coolant is in the valley? Did you check heater core hoses?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There are freeze plugs on the front and back of the heads, but i don't see any way that coolant could get into the valley from them. Only thing i could see is a hose leaking, or a cracked block/head, or maybe a blown HG.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I could look down the seam where the heads and block meet. No fluid or wet block. I just saw that there is a puddle in the valley. Not very deep, just that there is some green fluid.

I checked the hose from the pump to the heater, but now that I think of it I did not check the other one. I wonder if the fan could have blown a little bit of coolant backwards and it pooled in the valley?

My next step is to flush out the valley and blow it dry with air, then start dry and pump it up again.

I thought it was coming from the area under the drivers side of the HPOP in the front. Is there a passage between from the water pump through the front timing cover?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:45 AM

Green fluid in the valley could be diesel. Coolant would have a hard time finding its way up there.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah my bet would be fuel in the valley not coolant
Old 04-01-2013, 04:33 PM

Ya I'm gonna have to say its probably diesel. Check ur fuel bowl drain and the 3 fuel lines coming off the pump like to leak as well
Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A painful update. Started finding a small amount of snot under the valve covers and then it showed up on the dipstick. Coolant in the oil. Not much but it was there. Took it to a good mechanic cause I don't have time working 7-12's. Timing cover gasket.

He also pressure checked the coolant system while looking and under the valve covers. He pulled the fuel filter and it was clean. Compression was good, no oil in the radiator.

It was showing up as a light drip over the starter. And would drip under the power steering pump. I hope the cover isn't cracked
Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Sucks for your find but for a ray of light this will give you the opportunity to install a 96-97 front cover and then you can run a SD HPOP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coolant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.