fFirst Time Diesel Owner. Advice? Thanks! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fFirst Time Diesel Owner. Advice? Thanks!

Hello there guys (and gals.) I have recently become interested in purchasing a diesel vehicle. From what I have looked at a 90's model 7.3L seems like a nice place to start. Im just looking for the hypothetical "push" I need to get a Powerstroke. The things I'm looking for in a truck would obviously be a combo of power and fuel economy. The amount im looking to spend is around $3,500. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Powerstroke? And I know this is a Ford forum, but what are advantages and disadvantages of Duramax and Cummins engines? My cousin (same age as myself so we hang out alot) owns a 99 24v Cummins. If I'm gonna get a diesel truck it'll most likely come up that we should do a pull competition. Would my 90s 7.3L have any chance on his?

Note: I'm 16, this will be my first vehicle. I live in BFE Ohio on a farm so my truck will be put to good use out here.

Thanks everyone! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 01:24 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You can make great power on a powerstroke, you can make good power on an idi, only draw back on our trucks is the heui injection and computer control, a tune will have you up on power a bit, but mechanical is easier, so cummins is an awesome motor, wrapped in a crap shell, duramax has its issues too, the ifs goes in sometimes on the 4x4's
Old 03-30-2013, 02:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
You can make great power on a powerstroke, you can make good power on an idi, only draw back on our trucks is the heui injection and computer control, a tune will have you up on power a bit, but mechanical is easier, so cummins is an awesome motor, wrapped in a crap shell, duramax has its issues too, the ifs goes in sometimes on the 4x4's
What year do you recommend for me? All PSDs are computer controlled?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Any year 7.3 should be agood truck. Stock for stock a cummins will flat out pull a powerstroke on the bottom end but rolling down the highway All about the same. I've owned cummins and drive duramax at work obs stroke will cost far less to work on when it comes to the overall pickup axles Trans brakes etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 AM

Don't abuse your vehicle in a stupid contest.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Obs powerstroke 7.3 is only 94.5-97, if its auto and a 7.3 in 94 it will be an idi, and yes all powerstrokes have a lot of electronic controls, aside from the fuel pump
Old 03-30-2013, 11:33 PM

I would look for a regular cab 4x4 f-350 5 speed truck. Regular cab because they tend to be cheaper in this configuration and you get a long bed( lots of cargo room). The zf-5 speed is more reliable than the e40d. And being an F-350 you would get the dana 60 front end which is 10000x better than the twin beam dana 50 garbage in the f-250's.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

But the fact it it is a 1 ton means you pay more too, I put the d60 in my 250, easiest swap ever IMHO, did it 3 times on the same truck, but a 250 is typically cheaper because of the axle, and worth just as much, but if its about $2000 cheaper and the axle goes for $1000 then mite as well pocket the extra grand you saved
Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 AM

If you don't have specific reasons that you'll need to be hauling heavy loads, driving long distances, and doing one or both frequently.... Then I'd suggest reconsidering a gasser. Would specifically suggest a truck that has fords 300 straight six 4.9L. This motor was arguably the best gas motor ever made. Absent specific and frequent need for the diesel, it is going to be near impossible to make up for the added costs of owning and using a diesel as compared to a good gasser.

If you do go with diesel and are trying to buy one in the $3500 range, then I'd highly recommend saving until you also have a repair/parts savings to have on hand after buying your truck. These diesel trucks are great, but everything is more expensive it seems.

Last edited by normal; 03-31-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.