Transmission service question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission service question

I have a 96 CCLB 4x4. Time to get new tranny fluid in it and a new filter since I personally haven't done it and I don't know when it was done last. I live in Orange County, CA and there isn't a ton of diesel shops here locally. I have been quoted 280 dollars up to 490 for a transmission flush and filter change. That's a huge difference. My first question is what is everyone paying for this?

Next question is that I was told DO NOT DO A FLUSH because pressurizing the fluid through the tranny frequently causes the seals etc. to blow out and cause major problems. Has anyone heard of this? Should I just drop the pan at home and change the filter or go pay a mechanic. Any information is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you are capable at all, I would suggest doing the job yourself, and do it regularly! Meaning: 15K miles for severe duty conditions, and 30K for "normal" conditions. Get a filter kit, some fluid (suit yourself on fluid..... I used Walmart's trans fluid), a drain plug kit to install while you have the pan off (if one is not there already), and an in-line filter like this one: More Information for ATP JX150. It goes on the cooling line that is returning from the radiator/cooler to the transmission. I also drained the torque converter. Refill through the dipstick tube, of course. There are previous threads that can give you estimated capacities. I'll add some here if I can locate them.

The main thing I found to be very helpful to keep this job from being a HUGE mess is a plastic storage bin, one of the wide, flat ones, to use as a drain pan. If you have one large enough, it will catch all that comes out of the transmission.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the response.
I plan on doing this myself and was hoping to do it today but I cannot locate a part # for the inline filter on the return line that is carried by a local auto parts store. Does anybody know of an auto parts store that carries an inline filter that I can use instead of waiting for the Magnefine one online?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've been looking for a local source for these filters, but no luck other than the Ford dealer. I didn't even check a price there. If you can order one and wait for it to arrive before you do the fluid change, it would be worth it.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Don't pressurize lines, but let the TC do the work and just refill it as it gets pumped out.
Wynn's machines do the same thing.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nra1ifer View Post
I've been looking for a local source for these filters, but no luck other than the Ford dealer. I didn't even check a price there. If you can order one and wait for it to arrive before you do the fluid change, it would be worth it.
Napa has them in stock part number 1-8514 but that is the 3/8" size which is for truck 97 and newer I believe. My truck, 96, uses a 5/16" so I had to order on Ebay. Hopefully it will be in by Thursday. I plan on doing the change with this method.Changing ATF: 7.3L PowerStroke Engine and 4R100 Automatic Transmission. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Don't pressurize lines, but let the TC do the work and just refill it as it gets pumped out.
Wynn's machines do the same thing.
Thats the technique of the writeup I posted in my last post. When I first read it i though it was saying to drain the pan, disconnect the cooler return line, and run the tranny dry... Now i understand it though... after you drain the pan, you had 6 quarts so that as the old ATF is pumped out the new ATF is filling in. Excited to do this on Thursday when my new inline filter gets in.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 PM

Well transmission fluid change went pretty good... Dropped the pan, drained that fluid... cut the cooler return line and started truck to allow the TC to drain the rest as I added 7 quarts... kept that cycle going until I pumped all the dirty out and all new in... The only issue was when I was putting everything back together... When I took the bolts out to remove the pan 4 bolts came out full of material. The aluminum stripped out with the bolts when I took em out! I ended up putting the truck back together so I couldn't do a helicoil because I didn't want to drop the pan again. I ended up buying the exact same bolt but in coarse thread instead of fine thread... sucked up nice and tight!! I was happy. It was able to grab material and thread itself without having to go up a size. Next service I will helicoil when I have the pan off but couldn't be happier with the quick fix.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I live in Oceanside ca, short drive to the OC and ford here charges under $200 for a flush and fill
Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
I live in Oceanside ca, short drive to the OC and ford here charges under $200 for a flush and fill
I don't like to bad mouth companies but I will say I live in San Clemente and there is NO WAY the Ford dealership will ever touch my truck. They quoted me 180. When I asked if that included the filter he argued with me for about 2 min that the filter NEVER should be changed but would get a price for me. Couldn't find a price so he had to get my number and call me back. When he did he quoted me $495 for the change with filter included and justified this astronomical increase on the fact that they have to "drop the pan" to change the filter. He then disagreed with me when I informed him that my truck has no transmission drain plug and the pan gets dropped regardless. I'm sure there is others there that are way more knowledgeable than me but the small chance exist that this one person can have anything to do with my vehicle means I will never have this truck serviced there. He also had no clue about the inline filter that to my knowledge almost all Ford dealers add to the cooler return line. If yours doesn't have this I think it's worth it for sure.

Also, I have spoken with many different and refutable people and businesses that do not flush these transmissions. Sending pressurized fluid through and chemicals has been believed to cause damage to internal parts. You can do a flush using the TQ. It's simple and easy, even I managed to do it lol! Now that I have good clean fluid in the tranny I will probable do more frequent changes with pan fluid only (about 12 to 12 quarts roughly).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.