97 7.3L/ Won't Start After Running Out of Fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 97 7.3L/ Won't Start After Running Out of Fuel

A mechanic friend of mine was helping me swap out some parts (body, cosmetic) on my truck. At one point he had to drive it to his property because it couldn't stay at his shop. Anyways, he ran it out of fuel on the way and it hasn't started since. (He passed away shortly after so he is unable to help fix it.) The night it ran out we obviously added fuel, and he did some WD-40 thing that didn't work either. The battery was also having some trouble that night and it was somewhere in the 30's or 40's. It sat up for a few weeks since and I was just able to have it towed to my house so I can attempt to fix it. I debated for a while joining and posting this because it seems so dumb and could have easily been avoided all together. If someone could please offer some advice I'd be very grateful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

How many times have you tried to start it? I'd pop the fuel bowl lid off and make sure there is fuel in the bowl for starters. Does it have white smoke coming out the tail pipe when cranking?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know he did that fuel bowl thing. That night he tried quite a bit. More than I would have. And yes, there was smoke and I believe it was white. It was pitch black dark outside at the time.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know a little about gasoline vehicles but this is my first diesel so this is a learning experience for me...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 AM

First and foremost (as one of our regulars learned recently lol), make sure you batteries are fresh and charged. You mentioned battery issues? If you can afford it, go buy two new batteries. Even if your engine is cranking over at what you think is fast enough to start it, the computer needs to see a certain amount of juice from the batteries before it will let things fire.

Start there. How long has it been sitting? So no other issues other than ran out of fuel, weak batteries and now won't fire after putting in fuel?

And yes, spin the top off your filter housing and see if it has pumped it full of fuel.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No other issues that I know of. Of course, that may change once I start it. It has been setting for about 3 weeks or so. I will see about getting new batteries. Also, would it have damaged anything if my buddy had tried to switch from one tank to the next when the battery was dead or dying or struggling. I wasn't with him when it happened. I know I had to hook up jumper cables to it just to get it to crank when I first got there. Needless to say I was not too happy with this person but at this point I can't hold it against him. Someone (who may or may not know what they are talking about) mentioned glow plugs. The last time I tried to start it was a week ago when I finally had it towed to my house and nothing happened at all but I figured that's probably the batteries. I plugged in this little CarMD thing I bought to see if there were any codes and none showed up. I do not have any kind of Maintenance or Repair Manual for this vehicle yet...
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
When you crank does the tach move, switching tank to tank shouldn't have an adverse effect other than they are both empty, so put diesel in both just to make sure your selector valve isn't going or gone
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am not sure. I will check when I get home from work. And I put fuel in both just in case. I just didn't know if it could/would get stuck if battery did die.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 AM

Also pull the plug out of the HPO reservoir and make sure there is plenty of oil in there, should be about 1/2" from the top. It's the rectangular reservoir on the front part of the motor.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH View Post
First and foremost (as one of our regulars learned recently lol), make sure you batteries are fresh and charged. You mentioned battery issues? If you can afford it, go buy two new batteries. Even if your engine is cranking over at what you think is fast enough to start it, the computer needs to see a certain amount of juice from the batteries before it will let things fire.

Start there. How long has it been sitting? So no other issues other than ran out of fuel, weak batteries and now won't fire after putting in fuel?

And yes, spin the top off your filter housing and see if it has pumped it full of fuel.

Thats funny!!! What a dumb azz!!!!

Wait was that about me???

OP all good advice ^^^^^... Batts were my only problem. Put mine on the charger all night, plugged her in, went out in the AM she fired right up after cranking for like 2secs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
no start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.