Anybody? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfresh52
I had this problem as well and had the CPS changed and still had the problem. It seemed to happen more when I was towing. Maybe the more technical people can help with the jargon but it turn out to be the sensor that controls the Throttle but I think its called something differet on Diesels. T he TPS if you will controlled two things on my truck but it was one sensor package. Hopefully that is clear as mud. I havent had any provlems with stalling since I changed that sensor. Hope this helps.

Could someone give a good explanation for this? TPS sends a signal to PCM letting it know how much fuel is desired. Also has an idle validation switch that maintains idle rpm when TPS is at zero position. Am I correct so far? If the idle validation switch fails, would this cause the engine to stall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

What was your original problem because i dont think your quote worked right
Old 01-24-2008, 06:12 PM

Sorry, I copied and pasted from an old thread. It never got any looks so I thought I would ask the question in a new thread. Same old story - 97 powerstroke has a stalling issue that I can't resolve. It started out just quitting like you turned the key off for a second, then re-starting. Has progressed to running great for a couple of trips, and then not starting for a day or two. Sometimes it re-starts before I am stopped - sometimes 45 minutes later. Have changed CPS twice with no results.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it would also help to have your info like; year/model/engine/anything else!

then we can try to help out more....

does it help if it is plugged in at all?

maybe a glow plug relay?
Old 01-24-2008, 06:27 PM

1997 F-250 7.3 DI turbo diesel. 310,000 KM on the engine. Straight piped, AFE stage 1 air filter, no chip or other mods. Had it at the dealership when it first started to act up. They sold me the first CPS which I installed. They also ran a bunch of tests to check the condition of the engine and injectors. Said they were all fine. Tested batteries - OK. They gave me a list of recommendations, which I have followed. Replaced valve cover gaskets, UVC wiring harnesses, hard-shell connectors, fuel filter, clean air filter, add lubricity additive. After the no-fix, I bought the AE scanner with Ford Enhanced module, and have been working at it myself ever since.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:29 PM

Oops, I forgot one item - recommended changing #4 glow plug - done. Sometimes starts great at freezing temp without block heater and other times, won't start in above-freezing temps with block heater plugged in.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Does the tach move when you crank? What kind of icp and ipr values are you getting when it doesnt start and does the oil pressure gauge move at all?
Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM

Tach moves when I crank. I use the laptop from work for the AE scanner, and have never had it with me when it starts to act up. Also have no guages at home. Most of my stuff is at the shop. Oil pressure guage does move.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Its kind of tough to tell, it would be very helpfull if you had those values. They can be read on the scanner. Im not sure about an AE scanner but it should work.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 PM

When it runs and I have the scanner, I can watch Hpop pressure (575 at idle). Can you tell me the difference. Now, is this the ICP or IPR value that I am reading? Also, I have been tring to not load up too much info at a time, but I will list in point form what I have found so far:
-Ford dealer retrieved P1661, I have retrieved p1661 once (the last time), P0237, P0238 (turbo boost too high, and too low), can't remember P# but had injection pressure higher or lower than desired, had intermittent cam sensor once. In other words, nothing consistent.
-After first CPS change, discovered small leak from brake pressure switch. Fluid had run down wires into PCM plug. Have thoroughly cleaned and checked plug and PCM.
-Found leaky fuel filter vacuum switch - replaced.
-Cylinder contribution test - failed #4 & 8. Changed out injectors for a pair of used to see if this would resolve. No change - still failed 4 & 8.
-Have hesitation between 2000 and 3000 RPM when I stomp on the pedal. When truck is running good, this hesitation is minimal. When it starts to act up, the hesitation is noticable again.
-Tested IAT sensor according to AllData.com. Voltage from sensor seems to be working properly. Actual temp reading on scanner toggles from -40F to 473F at exactly the same voltage reading. This is the min/max setting for IAT sensor. No temp values in between these.
-Tested MAP sensor according to AllData.com for P0237, P0238. KOEO frequency is at 106Hz. AllData says below 125Hz replace PCM, and above 125Hz, replace MAP sensor.
-Probably forgot some stuff, but this is a long post.
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.