97 f350 i need some suggestion on some mods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking 97 f350 i need some suggestion on some mods

i have a 97 f350 with about 150,000 miles on it. I use the rig for towing the upgrades i want to do i want to be able to function while towing nothing to extreme. my biggest questions are on what intercooler to use, and if i should use the stock turbo or up grade it to a quick spooling one. i have a cold are intake and 3in dwn pipe into 4in exhaust. i know i need gauges but anything after that im all game. please help im sitting here in the desert away from my truck dreaming of all the upgrades to do. Im stuck working on crappy gm engines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Welcome to the ORG.!

Check out the links in my sig for some other mods. I used a Banks intercooler because it came with everything i needed. You can use a super duty cooler and source the plumbing yourself. You can use an intake spyder from an early '99 PSD. You can find the tubes here:Ford Intercoolers

I used to run a Banks 1.0 turbine housing. It worked well for towing and stock injectors. I went back to stock after upgrading my injectors to 160 cc's. They also are great for towing. I also recommend a Tony Wildman chip. His tow tunes are great. Gauges are a must and should go in before the chip or at the same time.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok sounds good why did you go back to the stock turbo after upgrading your injectors. now what stage are your 160 injectors 1 2 3 i know that diy has though stages. thank you
Old 01-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 97bluestroker
definitely get an intercooler. i have an aftermarket ford ic from the super duty models on my 97 and i'm able to do things without thinking twice because of it... if i didn't have one it'd be the first thing i'd mod. also, definitely get gauges too! i have a dp tuner on my rig and LOVE it. to be honest dp and tony wildman would be the two i'd think about gettin if i were you.... good luck!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:46 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I have stage 1's with stock nozzles. I went back to stock to keep EGT's down with the extra fuel. I'm actually considering going back to the quick spool to see how it works. My EGT's are very manageable now, even while towing. I think the small housing may help get higher boost, and quicker. I'm just not sure if I'll be able to keep it in the right boost levels.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thank you both for the advice. let me know how the new housing work with your set up pipelayrjdh. would you reccomend any other turbo instead of the banks set up. what kind of mileage are you getting while towing. im really debating dropping going to 3:73 from 4:10. thank you again
Old 01-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also i was thinking hypertech for a programmer. i would like to know a little more about how wildman works along with dp. my internet connection here in iraq sucks. please explain a little more thank you
Old 01-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

does anybody else have a suggestion for a turbo besides a banks or bd
Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

You should be able to get the 1.0 AR housing from some of the vendors here. It doesn't have to be banks. I have never ran Hypertech, maybe someone else can chime in on that. Besides a chip, most OBS owners like the Edge EVO.

I think Wildman or DP is the best way to go. You just can't beat being able to switch programs while driving down the road. You also get more tuning options with the chips. Installation is a little more involved, but it is really simple. With most hand held programmers, you get three tunes. Each with a little more HP. With a chip, you get a host of different programs to choose from. You can get tow, race, extreme, smoke, high idle, driver tunes, tranny tunes, etc.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey derrick thanks for the pics on the fpr shim. i think im going to do that tomy truck when im home on leave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.