Diesel newb from Cal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel newb from Cal

Hi folks, I don't own one yet but am in market for a 95-97 PSD. Of the trucks form these years are any better than the others? I will be looking at one this weekend, a 1996 with about 90,000 miles on it. I am willing to pay a premium for the low mileage because at this point I know zilch about diesels and don't want to encounter problems I might find on higher mileage one.

I don't think I will be too many if any mods to except the 6637 and the 3" downpipe changes.

Is there anything you can think of that I should check out in particular when looking at used trucks with fairly low mileage?

Anyway, looks like a good forum with good advice can be found here.

Oh, is there a better place to ask these questions on the forum?

Thanks
JackT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 PM

Welcome. And no, I ask questions in general too as it gets the most traffic. Of the Powerstroke forums I have visited, this one is by far the best for newbs. The members answer my stupid questions without acting like I am an idiot.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Your in the rite place, welcome to the org,

Check turbo fins for dusting, check oil cap for blow by by flipping it over, smell trans dipstick for burnt smell, look for leaks on top and under, test drive it, and what cal California or Calgary?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 PM

I live in the SF Bay area of California, the truck will be used to tow a mid size Kubota tractor but also my everyday driver. In California the 97 and earlier PSD's do not need to be smogged. a big plus and kinda surprising in that this is Kalifornia.

Thanks for the tips for things to look for.

The dusting you mention is that a residue from running too hot?

Last edited by Arcturus; 03-20-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Your in the rite place, welcome to the org,

Check turbo fins for dusting, check oil cap for blow by by flipping it over, smell trans dipstick for burnt smell, look for leaks on top and under, test drive it, and what cal California or Calgary?
Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
I live in the SF Bay area of California, the truck will be used to tow a mid size Kubota tractor but also my everyday driver. In California the 97 and earlier PSD's do not need to be smogged. a big plus and kinda surprising in that this is Kalifornia.

Thanks for the tips for things to look for.

The dusting you mention is that a residue from running too hot?
Dusting of the turbo(and engine too) is from unfiltered air being let into the turbo. This will wear down the fins on the compressor wheel and get into the cylinders where it will damage the rings/cylinder wall.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
^^^ that, and Check out wcs thread, west coast strokers, I live down in San Diego the no smog is nice
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM
BANNED by Kris

Crap, another No. Cal Diesel (in the making ). '97 Cali's had an injection set-up closer to the SD (Super Duty's) from '99-03. A little more power then the rest of the OBSs but with that comes the price of having some one off parts that are expensive to find and replace( I.E. the '97 Cali PCM is worth gold) '96 and '97's came with a different HPOP (that's High Pressure Oil Pump, you'll pick up acronyms quick around here) that is more desirable as the oil return is more like the SD set-up making them easier to get aftermarket. Late '94.5 and '95's have a different HPOP and front cover. Not hard to find parts but you have to know what you need and not just buy parts willy-nilly.

Do the checks that Kris mentioned, leaks in the engine valley are kinda easily fixed and leaks under the truck are somewhat time consuming. Not really deal breakers to me. These engines have a drain hole in the back of the engine valley that drains down the back of the motor and exits either under the trans (making it look like a rear main seal leak) or over by the starter (making it look like you have a High Pressure galley plug leak. Both are usually leaks from the turbo pedestal. Expect a $300 R&R bill to have a shop fix that. Just because it has low miles doesn't mean that it was treated nice. If you flip over the oil fill cap and the motors internal gasses blow it off the fill tube you are looking at good (as in bad) cylinder blow-by and a hefty engine repair bill. Walk away and don't look back....

Tuners like Justin above are totally willing to answer your coming power questions and please buy from our sponsors as if they don't see a reason to be here we loose their support. When making a purchase let them know you are from the ORG and I often get a price break.

Ask a question anywhere and if you feel shy about a particular question up above this thread is a newb free-to-question thread. One thing though and this _might_ be considered a warning from a Moderator. DO NOT ask "how do I make my truck smoke" like those a$$hats on YouTube. We do not support this smoking crap.

Last edited by BigFuel; 03-21-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
Crap, another No. Cal Diesel (in the making ). '97 Cali's had an injection set-up closer to the SD (Super Duty's) from '99-03. A little more power then the rest of the OBSs but with that comes the price of having some one off parts that are expensive to find and replace( I.E. the '97 Cali PCM is worth gold) '96 and '97's came with a different HPOP (that's High Pressure Oil Pump, you'll pick up acronyms quick around here) that is more desirable as the oil return is more like the SD set-up making them easier to get aftermarket. Late '94.5 and '95's have a different HPOP and front cover. Not hard to find parts but you have to know what you need and not just buy parts willy-nilly.

Quote:
Good info here. Thanks
If you flip over the oil fill cap and the motors internal gasses blow it off the fill tube you are looking at good (as in bad) cylinder blow-by and a hefty engine repair bill. Walk away and don't look back....

Quote:
I assume you do this with the engine running?
Tuners like Justin above are totally willing to answer your coming power questions and please buy from our sponsors as if they don't see a reason to be here we loose their support. When making a purchase let them know you are from the ORG and I often get a price break.

One thing though and this _might_ be considered a warning from a Moderator. DO NOT ask "how do I make my truck smoke" like those a$$hats on YouTube. We do not support this smoking crap.

Quote:
Not at all into that, maybe just a train horn

I can see why this site is so popular. Thanks for the help. I hope to post up pics of my PSD when I find the right one.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM
BANNED by Kris

Sorry, yep with the engine running. If possible don't let the PO start the truck before you get there.

Train horns, how childish

These are only 16" & 18" long. I've got a 4.5' horn in the garage that I need to find a new diaphragm for then that goes on.

Last edited by BigFuel; 03-21-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM

I need train horns. I almost got sideswiped last week by some sorority girl who was texting and driving with her music up. It is a big problem in my town... Texting and driving that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.