dana 60 and 70 rear from 2001 dodge - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dana 60 and 70 rear from 2001 dodge

Hey all,
I've been looking at putting a Dana 60 under my 97 7.3 f250 this summer, so I've been watching Craigslist. I happened across someone parting out a 2001 dodge with a pair of axles, Dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear with Detroit locker. Probably wishful thinking, but having both of these under my truck would be sweet. Both have disk brakes.
I am aware that the 2001 dodge is a coil over set-up, and I believe it have has auto locking hubs? I did a little research and this looks to be a 2nd generation dodge dana 60 with a drivers side diff drop, matching the ford.
Anyway just wanted to see if anyone had done a build like this and if I bought these how deep of a sh** heap would I be in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 01:39 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
front axles are very different, coil spings and you will need some sort of 3/4 link or radius arm suspension. also the axle are 32 spline instead of 35. and the 4x4 is different. i would think the rear axle could probably be made to work (much more easily than the front) though i think the widths are quite different. I would hold out for a ford D60
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's what I thought, the Detroit locker had me drooling a little, but I can hold out for a ford.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Big sh!t heap, gonna take lots of fab, it can be done, but not near as easy as just finding a ford axle
Old 03-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also if I do find a rear axle with disc brakes, is it simply a matter of hooking up the old drum brake lines to the new disc brakes or are there other mods involved?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
More than likely your going to need the brake lines front and rear to bolt to the dodge's set up
Old 03-19-2013, 03:02 PM
the baconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappermat View Post
Also if I do find a rear axle with disc brakes, is it simply a matter of hooking up the old drum brake lines to the new disc brakes or are there other mods involved?
what are you asking? ford swapped to discs in the rear in 99 the axle bolts right in but the bolt pattern is 8x170 instead of 8x6.5, dodge has a different width axle, if you decide to use a D70 or D80 out of a dodge the fitting maybe different for the rear brake line, it may not be I don't know. you will need to change the proportioning valve or you will have a soft pedal. I would suggest a hydroboost system from an 88-97 F-SD
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm not positive, but i think the differential is on the wrong side.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
what are you asking?
Sorry, I should have been more specific... I meant if I found a more compatible ford axle with disc brakes... I had seen one earlier on cl... If I go that route I will look at hydroboost. More than likely I will end up just swapping the front axle only. Currently I am having some issues with the drums on the truck, so I was curious.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:15 PM
the baconator

ford added discs when they changed bolt patterns on the super duties if you find a SD axle you will need an adapter or to redrill the hubs to 8x6.5. though some vans (e series) had rear discs and 8x6.5 bolt pattern but i think they were on a D60 rear axle, smaller and weaker axle than the sterling under your truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.