Ford F350 automatic Lost Fluid now won't shift properly - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford F350 automatic Lost Fluid now won't shift properly

ok i was driving down the road the other day and my alternator locked up shreded my belt and when the belt came off it bent some alternator cooling lines which were then cut by the fan lost all of my Transmission fluid,also pulled off the oil sensor line so my truck shut off and i did not drive it without fluid. I was then pulled the remaining 2 miles to my house without disconnecting the drive shaft. replaced alternator fixed cut transmission lines and reconnected oil sensor line. truck started right up runs fine but the shifting is jacked up i can drive it in D it shifts great i can also drive it in N but it will not shift out of first gear R does not seem to work at all in fact park and reverse seem to do the same thing now lock up and now allow the vehicle to move. i've heard it could be a blockage but that does not make sense to me seeing as how i had no problems with my transmission before also been told it could be an air lock witch makes more sense but i have no idea on how to bleed the system if it is or what needs to be done. any help you could offer would be a great help thanks Jon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How fast was it towed with the driveshaft still connected? Where the rear tires rolling, and usually when you pull an auto like that it will tear it up inside, good luck hopefully someone can help better
Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I thought that was safe in neutral?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

about 35 miles an hour but i was told such a short distance would not hurt it, so i did not disconnect the drive train. and yes the rear tires were rolling.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not safe in neutral at all, without the truck running it isn't pumping fluid where it needs, gets hotter faster, and you mite try dropping the pan and see what falls out, err I mean looks like, could be a bad valve body now or worse, but I hope someone more knowledgeable on the e4od can chime in here
Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 PM

Did you add transmission fluid to the correct level?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If you pumped most or all of the fluid out while driving more than likely your trans is toast. What happens when you pop a line off is you loose the rear lube circuit and pretty much start melting stuff together.

You didn't dick anything up towing it a couple of miles. I've flat towed stuff 10 miles without it running, as long as you go slow enough (25-35 mph) you can generally get away with up to 10 miles and be just fine.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well that sucks oh well guess i'll get it rebuilt or whatever anybody got any idea on what that'll run?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 PM

You can prob get a basic rebuild for around 2 grand depending on what you cooked. Pony up 5 large for a BTS and don't ever worry about it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3 diesel, trans, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.