Steering wheel problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering wheel problem

OK guys...I need some help here.

Driving home from work yesterday and my steering wheel feels like it is going to fall off. Well....not fall off but I can wobble it from the 12 and 6 position about 1/4" to 1/2" of an inch. Is there some kind of bushing or bearing under the steering wheel? And if there is...how do you get the steering wheel off?

Thanks Guys,
Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What year of truck??? Sounds like the bearings are going out or gone out.. My dad just had to fix a bunch of stuff in his steering collum on his 95. Its was about $350.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Its a 1996 F250
Did he get to everything by taking the steering wheel off? If he did..did he just use a standard 2 jaw puller?

Thanks
Brad
Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJ View Post
Its a 1996 F250
Did he get to everything by taking the steering wheel off? If he did..did he just use a standard 2 jaw puller?

Thanks
Brad
He had to pull the whole thing because there are bearings on both ends. I would pull the steering wheel off first. he didnt have to, but his was so worn out he just hit it off with a hammer. . its not to bad to do.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 PM

steering wheel problems

Are you talking about steering play?If so its in the supension not the cab.I replaced the tie rod ends and adjusted the steering box a 1/4 turn.If your steering wheel can be lifted up and down,then you pull the steering wheel and tighten everything up.
if its tilt you tighten up differently,but it self explainatory.I rented a steering wheel tool from auto zone for the chevy I don't know about the ford.Ask auto zone,they have the tools if you need it.Its simple thought,just take you time.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJ View Post
Its a 1996 F250

Thanks
Brad
No, don't use a jaw puller! Use a steering wheel puller. Turn the wheel straight up and reach through with both hands to the back of the plastic cover, or air bag cover if it's got an air bag. Pull upward and to you and the cover will snap loose, some come right off some fight.

Now you remove the big nut and install the puller, it bolts in the 2 small threaded holes and pushes on the big bolt or steering shaft. From there you should be able to pick your way down to the bearing and swap it out.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie View Post
I rented a steering wheel tool from auto zone for the chevy I don't know about the ford.Ask auto zone,they have the tools if you need it.Its simple thought,just take you time.
Ford takes the same tool, and it's a must if you dont want more damage.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yea..I figured that you had to use a puller. But on my truck's steering wheel..there is no place to install the puller..ie. no threaded bolt holes. Thats what my concern is. I'll try to take a picture and post it this evening.
Thanks,
Brad
Old 01-17-2008, 06:06 PM

i had the same problem with mine. there was play in the steering wheel, i could move the steering wheel up and down, talked to my mechanic and he said your better off just finding a used steering column and replacing the old one because it would be cheaper then having to go though and take the column apart. so i shopped around a little and found a steering column for 250 and it took me about 3 hours to take the old one out and put the new one in. havent had any problems and works great!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tougas View Post
i had the same problem with mine. there was play in the steering wheel, i could move the steering wheel up and down, talked to my mechanic and he said your better off just finding a used steering column and replacing the old one because it would be cheaper then having to go though and take the column apart. so i shopped around a little and found a steering column for 250 and it took me about 3 hours to take the old one out and put the new one in. havent had any problems and works great!
Yea. if you can find one. You have a 97, but my dad has a 95. So it was harder to find since that was the only year out 95,96, & 97 that didnt have an airbag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.