zf5 tramission fitment question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
zf5 tramission fitment question

Hey guys, Im almost done rebuilding my zf5 but long story short I think I need a new case.

There is a tranmission for sale locally and its a 5 speed that was hooked to an IDI, I know this is probably a s42, but is the front case still the same(bell housing side).

Ive read the syncros are different, but I'm not exactly sure all of the differences. Will the bellhousing off of an idi zf5 bolt to a powerstroke? will the shafts out of a s47 fit in? I have a fully rebuild main shaft and counter shaft, its just my front case is bad.

Any suggestions or help would be awesome
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The case will work as in bolting up, these trans a diesel only, as in idi and psd are same, now 6.0+ won't work tho
Old 03-13-2013, 01:29 PM

Awesome, so it will bolt up. now I'm just curious if the internals are the same. Ill look around for diagrams.

Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:23 PM

The 47 has internal gussets, so I do not know
Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Same bell housing, it will bolt up and should work fine for you. You probably already know that it is the weaker of the 2 and prone to the case cracking where it bolts to the tcase/cross member. I have also heard of cracks at the bell housing. SO if you buy make sure you inspect really good.

What is the story of your case. We had an IDI farm truck one time that ended up with a crack in the bell housing that was about 7" long. Had it TIG welded and it worked fine for us for a few years. We sold the truck to a neighbor farmer and he is still rocking it today. Our luck might not be your luck but it might be worth a try??
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM

The idi bolt patern is the same at a big block ford also
Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Can you hear the derail??

But a 460 trans won't bolt up to a psd
Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_pace View Post
The idi bolt patern is the same at a big block ford also
NO, it is Not the same. Similar but Not the same
Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 PM

Well, I appricate all the help, and Ill explain why I went from tranmission rebuild to needing a new tranmission.

Well, The bellhousing was all cracked up from DMF obviously coming apart on a previous owner. I don't like putting broken sh!t together like that, but I figured I would rebuild the transmission because I had nothing else to work with and needed to get my truck on the road ASAP.

Fast forward past rebuilding the main shaft (went great, I have a fully rebuild main shaft!) and I am inspecting the cases before installing the bearing races into them. I notice a small crack around the input shaft area, under the throwout bearing assembly. I tig welded it the best I could. Another long story short I put the bearing races is, and the crack was bigger, hitting the races in made everything worse. I welded that up in a last attempt to make this all work.

Now LAST step, transmission is going back together, I'm carfully taping the input seal in, and the entire casting around the input shaft the busts out( NOT WHERE I WELDED IT, a whole new crack), I was hardly hitting it...it obviously had no strength what so ever. So after throwing everything on the bench and within reach across the shop I calmed down and inspected everything. It's not practical to weld it up, this case is such a peice of sh!t its not worth anymore hours.

So I'm sitting there with a fully rebuild main shaft, a rebuild small case half (all gears and shafts installed into it, ready to drop the bellhousing half onto) and my LARGE case half is FUBAR.

I'm seriously pissed and don't what what to do next, rebuilding a zf5 is honestly pretty easy, but its hard to do anything when the case is falling apart faster then you can fix it.

Any leads on case halfs, or cheap remans, or ideas Please....anything :'(

Thanks for everything guys, im just out of ideas at this point.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM

So really all I need is a front case half(bellhousing) for a zf-47. I can imagine they are hard to find considering ford basically designed them to get blown to bits with the flywheel being in there.

Another option (less ideal) would be buy another tranmission. I have to look at costs through, I don't have all the money in the world..anywhere cheap quality remans? I might have to take that route if I can't find a case.

Another option (less ideal) buy this zf5-42? off of a 93 IDI, from what you all say it will fit. I will be buying an unknown tranmission that could be just as bad as what I had before. If I cant use the internals from my s-47 IN the s-42 then I would be back to the starting line, rebuilding a zf5.

Any help would be awesome, I need to for sure still frusterated considering all the time I had into the junk case, just for it to fall apart on me again.

NOTE* DO NOT EVER CONSIDER continuing to run your DMF, I see people asking all the time. SECOND do not half *** repair it, and sell the truck to someone without telling them, acting like it never happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.