05+ Axle Swap vs. D60 Swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Gertrude
05+ Axle Swap vs. D60 Swap

So I'm seriously debating saving more and buying a wrecked SD, so I want to know from the guys that have already done this, what exactly I'm getting into since the regular d60 swap just bolts in. I know the 05+ axles require cutting and welding but what are the gains of doing this? for example ive read; bigger rotors, 4wh abs, 4wh db, axle ratios, and hydroboost I think? How hard/envolved is it to get all that stuff to work properly? How much, rough guess, of time and money have you guys put into it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

U will not get 4 wheel abs without some serious mods of swaping in a SD moduleand computer and such. But the sensors are there.

The advantages are better ride, smaller turning radius (my truck can out turn a reg cab long bed with a d-60 by far), bigger brakes, 3.73s if u want, easier to find lift its for that ride nice if u so choose. The hydroboost can be done on a stock truck with great results.

The downfall is the axles are heavier, unit bearing hubs, no aftermarket support on selectable hubs and death wobble.

I think it is easier to find a low mileage set of axles that don't require to be rebuilt. Take the 1000 u spent on the d-60 and 500 u spent in joints, seals, ext, and 500 u may have in it to have it re-geared and u have bought a matching pair of 05+ axles.

The swap isnt that hard, really.... the rear is self explainitory while the frt just requires a lot of holes to be drilled. The hardest part is the track bar mount which if u know a good welder or are one yourself is not a problem. The only cutting u have is the trimming of the engine cross member and the old stuff coming out.

All the stuff that u need to buy from Cary at CT Performance depends on your fabrication skills and how thrifty, or how ingenuitive u are. I picked up a rolling chassis with 40k miles for 2000 bucks. I found jordan (Jlm93) a rolling chassis minus the center section of frame with 150k and all the driveshafts for 1100. I found seth (strokedNY) a set of 08 axles with 3000 miles with everything he will need minus a drag link and a sway bar for 1500. Honestly with these miles and prices why would u pay 1000 bucks for a 250k mile axle

All said and done with price of sale, gas to travel from MD to GA and back (the items i had to buy my wife because i did this across mothers day weekend), nuts and bolts, lift kit, wheels, tires, alignment, and the things i needed i prolly have 5k in it. Sold my old wheels for 300, and axles for 400, for a total of 4200. Without the lift kit and if i made stuff on my own i could have done it with the sale price at 2k for 3700 (with fuel to pick it up blah blah and selling old stuff)

Last edited by ol_Blue97; 03-11-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
D60 has a terrible turning radius lol, but I bought my truck with a huge winch and front bumper, I traded those for my axle so I have the cost of 2 new u joints in my swap, so roughly $50 barter is king, and when I get my dually I will use 05+ axles like Seth, but just a d60 swap is a lot easier and my axle had 125k on it I did not do anything but check the bearings
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 PM

Ok thanks that helps a lot can u put the hydroboost from the sd on the obs
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

It can be done but the fire wall will have to be modified ad the bolt pattern on the SD hydroboost is different.. but it has been done. If u find a good wrecker u can have your axles for free. The 6.0 if it runs and has decent mileage is worth around 3k.if u can do a little work to it. Re do it with head studs ans new injectors u can polly get 4500 for it an may sell a little faster. Make less but sell faster.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Or find an f-sd and pull it from that it will bolt on your firewall, I have one on the shelf in my garage waiting to get installed actually
Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

That is the best route. But if u get one that is good in the wrecked truck then try to make it work
Old 03-12-2013, 04:39 AM

Ok thanks guys are gas f250s the same axles, rear leafs and brakes minus the coils since they're rated for a gas engine? Cuz I'm going to look for the cheapest way into a complete truck which would be a gas f250/f350 4x4 work truck that's rolled over, ideally im starting to searching for a f350 4x4 6.0 reg cab long bed that's rolled over, titled parts only, or hit a tree or pole, something along the totaled beyond repair
Old 03-12-2013, 04:42 AM

What all do I need from an obs f-sd for the hydroboost, and what exactly is hydroboost
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I first did this swap in early '08..we have everything needed to do this. PM me if I can help.
You don't need hydro boost and IMO just a waste of time and $ as the brakes will stop insanely good with very little pressure on the pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.