Noob needs info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WVF350MAN
Noob needs info

Hello,

I just bought my 1996 F350 Crew Cab long box 7.3 turbo diesel, 247K. This truck was originally a gasser that was converted to 97 7.3. Some issues that I need to resolve. Truck was a California truck so no rust at all. However that being said it also does not have the block heater plug, which in WV I will need. Cruise doesn't work, no horn (which makes me think the steering wheel was replaced or removed). When I bought it I flew from WV to CA and picked it up. Shortly thereafter found it bogged down on long slow incline. So, before I left CA my niece who works for Extreme4x4 in Santee Ca. set me up with a mechanic. Turns out there was a couple of air leaks. After a couple of days and $525 dollars I was ready to road trip it back to WV. 2505 mile shake down cruise. Total investment to this point $5100. First thing I noticed was a jet like wind up noise when accelerating. I was told there was a part in the turbo that made this sound and that it could be replaced. What is it? and is it a DIY fix? I read tons of posts on this Forum prior to buying the truck over a 8 month period, I appreciated all the good info and good people that I came across. I hope this is the begining of my life as a 7.3 man.
Thanks and looking forward to hearing from any and all comments.
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...
That jet noise is when cold right?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Can you make a point form list of the issues that need to be resolved so it's easier to digest?

Block heater goes into the oil filter housing just about the oil filter, points out toward driver's side. You sure there is no block heater or maybe a plug you can pull out to install one?

Yes, the noise you are hearing and lack of power is likely the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve aka EBPV. Easiest thing to do is just unplug it. Two wire plug right down from and slightly in front of the turbo intake. Can trouble shoot it later if that's the issue.

As far as the cruise and horn...well obviously there has been some serious monkeying with the electronics/wiring during the conversion so lord knows what the problem may be. There are a few guys around here that know wayyyy more than they should about that stuff that may be able to help you sort it out.

First, you are a brave man flying that far to buy a converted truck like that.

Second, I hope it turns out to be a great truck and welcome to the addiction
Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
second what JJ said. you can pull the horn pad and see what is there. cruise should be easy to resolve and he block heater is probably there you just need a cord which are readily available and easily installed
Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to WVF350MAN
Yes, the noise you are hearing and lack of power is likely the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve aka EBPV. Easiest thing to do is just unplug it. Two wire plug right down from and slightly in front of the turbo intake. Can trouble shoot it later if that's the issue.

The power issue was resolved with the repairs prior to leaving CA. The noise is not related to power other than it sounds like a jet engine when accelerating. I don't know how else to describe it, the guy I bought it off said that it was in the turbo and that there was a part (he called it a ringer?) that could be replaced to get rid of the noise. I guess some people like that old diesel bus sound, I am not one.

Mark
Old 03-14-2013, 12:42 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's a butterfly valve, and do you have an intake and exhaust already? That could also be the whistle sound you hear, another thing is that if its from California, and the motor came from a 97 that I'm assuming also came from California, I'm going with the assumption you have a Cali model motor and 120cc split shot injectors, a blue stick on the pass side valve cover would be an easy way to spot this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.