Changing my fuel pump, any tips? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing my fuel pump, any tips?

I've not done this yet but seems pretty straight forward. Are there any tips or things I should watch out for? Any other things that I should replace while I'm in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 09:09 PM

If it's like my '96 that was supposed to be fleet maintained, have a foot or so of fuel line handy. There are a few short lines that replacing wouldn't hurt being changed while you are at it.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Premium Member

Just did this a few weeks ago on my 97. What a pain in the azz. Drain the fuel out of the fuel filter housing then take that out. There is a big nut on the back of the pump that has to come off IIRC it's a 1 1/4". You can just barely get a boxed end wrench in between the nut and the turbo pedestal, but it can be done. Also when lifting the pump off the valley there is a plunger underneath that will slip out and slide down into the motor so be careful. When putting the fuel filter housing back on i would go ahead and disconnect the fuel heater wire that's on the drivers side of the housing. There are 2 black plugs with wires connected, it's the top one. (The bottom one is your water in fuel sensor.) If you don't disconnect the wire more than likely messing with the housing it will short out and blow your #22 fuse and your truck will not start. Good Luck!!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:34 AM
7.3 tech, supporter

The big banjo bolt on the back of the pump is an 1 1/4" depending on how the flats of the bolt are positioned you might have to bend the end of the wrench a lil to get it on there and make sure to replace the crush washers there too. Ford sells the 3 little lines for little or nothing and regular fuel line won't last long down there. As far as the tappet for the fuel pump the best thing to do is loosen all the bolts on the fuel pump and then rotate the motor until the fuel pump pops up so you know the lobe on the cam is at top dead center, that way the tappet cannot fall into the motor if it falls out of the pump. And make sure to use some assembly lube on the end of the new tappet before stabbing it back together.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Are there o-rings where the big banjo bolt connects to the fuel pump? Do they need to be replaced ('96 PSD)?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:36 AM
7.3 tech, supporter

No, they are flat copper washers just like those that connect a brake line to the caliper.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the replys, I got it done in just under 3 hours. That banjo bolt sure was a pain in the arse! I couldn't believe how much crap was in the fuel filter housing! And I would bet nearly a 1/2 cup of water and goo. But was way easier than I was anticipating.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 AM

I just replaced mine a few weeks ago and suprisingly, it went very well. I was concerned about getting the crush washers positioned as I started the banjo bold. On the first attempt the forward crush washer slid out of position. For the second try I got some sewing thread from the wife and looped it through the the front washer, slid the banjo bolt in, and then carefully pullled the thread out. I already had the fuel bowl out so replacing the pump took less than an hour.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Ok I feel like an idiot now becuase for some reason I felt that I couldnt get the banjo bolt off while the pump was still installed, so I ended up bending up the fuel line trying to get it out attached to the pump, then the turbo Had to come out to put a new metal line in. Wish I would have know all this first!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone know where to get new crush washers?

Or do you just re-use the old ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.