Why was ford so late??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 97bluestroker
Why was ford so late???

Something that I've always wondered about but never figured out.... why did for wait so long to put turbos in their diesels??? if you look at dodge their first generation cummins had turbos right out the gate.... ALSO why did ford wait so long to put in intercoolers?? Dodge had 'em...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 10:02 AM

Price, and the fact that Ford sells more diesels than Dodge and GM together. Why put extras on till you see a lag in sales.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
The cummins engine that was the first diesel engine in a Dodge truck was designed to be turbocharged. Dodge didn't transition from a NA diesel to a turbo diesel.. they actually were late in putting in a diesel, and skipped the NA step.

Also, turbochargers, and intercoolers are devices that have been added to the engines to improve horsepower as that became necesary. Some of it is to stay "in the game" as far as the power war between the Big Three is concerned.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:09 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
I Still like the non turbo 7.3's before i would like a 5.7 chevy
Old 01-10-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstroker_2002 View Post
I Still like the non turbo 7.3's before i would like a 5.7 chevy

I had a N/A 6.9 and latter with a add on turbo, it was great!!

Was the first real diesel motor in a pickup, GM's were all converted gas motors for years.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97bluestroker
what about the intercoolers? obviously they've proved to be a pretty important component...
Old 01-10-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97bluestroker View Post
what about the intercoolers? obviously they've proved to be a pretty important component...
Part of the power war. Cheep, light way to add power and stay safe with the same size motor.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:03 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

The 7.3 was making enough power that it didn't need a turbo to fit in the order of things, back then. When power was goin up and Dodge was realizing a boom in sales, Ford had to step up. The first gen powerstroke didn't need an intercooler. The tuning kept the temps where the engine would be safe to run without one. When power increased, the need was realized and so an intercooler was added. If you add power and want to tow, I would consider adding an intercooler. Its just evolution. BTW: Dodge didn't have 'em untill '93, but I think you could get one as an option in late '91.

Last edited by pipelayerjdh; 01-10-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOBB View Post
The cummins engine that was the first diesel engine in a Dodge truck was designed to be turbocharged. Dodge didn't transition from a NA diesel to a turbo diesel.. they actually were late in putting in a diesel, and skipped the NA step.
Actually Dodge had a Mitsubishi diesel waay back in the late 70s but it was a total piece of junk and they did not keep it long. But you are correct they are late to the diesel game. I think gm was first with the 6.2 back in 1982 and they were made by Detroit Diesel. Then Ford offered the 6.9 in 1983. I don't know why people hate on the GM diesels so much, they are not the most powerful engines but in the early 1980s that and the 6.9 laid the foundation for the awesome power plants we got today
Old 01-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufushusky View Post
Actually Dodge had a Mitsubishi diesel waay back in the late 70s but it was a total piece of junk and they did not keep it long. But you are correct they are late to the diesel game. I think gm was first with the 6.2 back in 1982 and they were made by Detroit Diesel. Then Ford offered the 6.9 in 1983. I don't know why people hate on the GM diesels so much, they are not the most powerful engines but in the early 1980s that and the 6.9 laid the foundation for the awesome power plants we got today

I have 1993 6.5 turbo diesel 25oo chev, It is not the most powerful engine out there but in 200,000+ miles it has never offered to not start and never quit. gets 16 MPG with 4:10 gears a 5 speed and 4x4. Hauled goosneck loads of cattle and horses and equipment, not the fastest but it does ok. Can't sell it now it's like one of the family had it since it was new in 93.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.