Buying a used 94-97 OBS stroker - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Canadian Stroker
Question Buying a used 94-97 OBS stroker

Hey guys, been lurking here for a little while now and have finally signed up. So I've been bitten with the powerstroke bug and am looking to purchase one in the next little while. So just looking for some advice as to what problems I should be looking for with them. Any particular years to avoid? Which tend to suffer from rust damage the worst, engine/transmission problems, etc. Anyways, thanks in advance, seems to be like a very friendly helpful site so I look forward to the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just look around and search the years you see in your price range for the common bugs for that production date. I have a 97 5speed and early 99 6speed, both 7.3 turbos. The 97 leaks fuel at the massive banjo bolt and the 99 leaks oil from god knows where (since I have replaced every o ring and gasket known to that model) but both are very dependable. I realize this is not much input. I meant this post as more of encouragement. Keep in mind that these trucks weren't intercooled until the early 99 model!

Let your first mod be a chip. Thats your best bang for the buck. After that do a boost fooler. Its real cheap and will buy you another 2-3lbs of boost. Straight exhaust and cold air inlet are probably already in your plan but thought I'd mention it just in case... 6L intercoolers are supposed to be bigger so keep an eye out for one of those used and cheap.

Thats all I can think of for now. Good luck and I'm sure someone else will chime in here shortly.

chris
Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Whats a boost fooler? (sorry, I'm still kind of a newbie)
Old 01-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've also seen them called MAP foolers. A guy on e-bay used to sell them pre-fab, thats where I got mine but I couldn't find one listed. Maybe he stopped. He use to list them as "big boost". Anyway, some guys here on this site just make them out of fittings you could get at the hardware store. I'd search it here and see if you can get one of them to send you a parts list and just make one when the time comes.

chris
Old 01-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Cool, thanks for the tip.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

any other advice people?
Old 01-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Stroker View Post
any other advice people?
Change the cmp (cam position sensor) before it goes out on you. Ford issued a recall on these items recently.

That's one of the first things I did when I got my '96 PSD (in addition to changing the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, flushing the coolant, tranny fluid, Viton O-rings for the fuel drain valve, new O-rings on the leaky IPR, new oil-cooler gaskets, plugging up the dipstick/crankcase oil leak, adding a coolant filter, and I still need to change the fuel pump since it's leaking ).

Man I love the 7.3!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.