New to diesels, looking to build a truck. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to diesels, looking to build a truck.

Hi, just singed onto the forum and I'm just starting to get into diesels. I've always liked the OBS fords. I'm getting a 1997 7.3 extra cab long bed 4x4 5 speed from my buddy and I was woundering if you guys have some ideas on mods that should be done and when to do them. I'm starting with a 5" exhaust, 3" downpipe, k&n filter, TS 6 position chip, and Beans 1.00 quick spool housing. I hope to, over the course of many years, build it to 500-650rwhp. I've been looking around the forum to get some ideas but I really don't have the basics down and I don't really know what I'm looking at yet.
A couple of questions I have are...
What is the 6637 air filter? Why are you guys using it? Where can I get one? What is the HPOP? Around what power range does the motor start to severely loose its life span? Can I upgrade the stock turbo instead of buying a new one? and When should I consider head studs/main studs?
Like I said new to the game and trying to learn what I can. Also does anyone know where I could look and get more info on the basics and things to watch out for?
Thanks for you input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello, I am new to powerstrokes and the forums as well...
I have been doing some research on the internet and have discovered this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/powerstrokehelp
and the website that goes with it: POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics
You will find tons of useful info from this guy.
HPOP High pressure oil pump - The fuel injectors on the 7.3 are hydraulically actuated. Motor oil is used as the working fluid this pump pressurizes it.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal1stgen View Post
Hi, just singed onto the forum and I'm just starting to get into diesels. I've always liked the OBS fords. I'm getting a 1997 7.3 extra cab long bed 4x4 5 speed from my buddy and I was woundering if you guys have some ideas on mods that should be done and when to do them. I'm starting with a 5" exhaustgood, 3" downpipe good, k&n filter bad, very bad, TS 6 position chip buy custom tunes instead, and Beans 1.00 quick spool housingOBS trucks already have a 1.00 housing IIRC. I hope to, over the course of many years, build it to 500-650rwhpbetter get your wallet out, 500 is about as much as you will get without serious engine work. I've been looking around the forum to get some ideas but I really don't have the basics down and I don't really know what I'm looking at yet.
A couple of questions I have are...
What is the 6637 air filterit can be found here B085011 - 6637 - ECB DONALDSON REPLACEMENT FOR NAPA 6637 - Filter Products i have a write up on the install here 6637 DIY Intake filter install/change? Why are you guys using it Flows a ton more air than stock for very little $$, the K&N will smoke your turbo? Where can I get onesee above? What is the HPOPHigh Pressure Oil Pump, it runs your injectors? Around what power range does the motor start to severely loose its life spannot sur what your asking?? My truck has 297k and is running like 375rwhp? Can I upgrade the stock turbo instead of buying a new oneyes with a new compressor wheel found here http://www.dieselsite.com/wickedwhee...s-instock.aspx? and When should I consider head studs/main studsnot really needed unless you start pushing the 600hp threshold, which as i mentioned will cost a lot of green?
Like I said new to the game and trying to learn what I can. Also does anyone know where I could look and get more info on the basics and things to watch out for?Lots and lots of info here on the ORG
Thanks for you input.
See comments above...
Old 03-06-2013, 03:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post
See comments above...
wow! Good job on that one!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yes..... Exactly what he said
Old 03-06-2013, 04:34 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i agree with seth, only difference is the OBS housing is 1.10
Old 03-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cool thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.